Answered

Multiple choice answer width?

• 18 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

My four multiple choice answers are visible if I can avoid text wrapping.
I observe that the answer boxes are wider when width="560px"
and narrower when width="100%" or width="680px".
Is there a general rule that I can count on to avoid text wrapping?

(Note: I am not asking about the 255 character limit.)

icon

Best answer by andrew_videoask 20 March 2023, 14:10

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Just to clarify: I’m noticing that the answer boxes are wider for different widths set inside an <iframe>. This is useful, and I’d like to know more about how this works so I can use it to avoid the answer text wrapping.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @RICK VAN NESS, I hope you’re well! 

I’m not currently aware of any parameters or guidelines we have available when it comes to configuring the width of answer boxes.

Even if you do a bunch of testing and manage to reverse-engineer the formula for text wrapping, I wouldn’t really advise hardcoding any values. The reason I say that is because your videoask should be responsive across mobile and desktop devices. However, if you force a particular value, it may break the experience on certain devices (or at the very least, result in a less than desirable experience for respondents). 

I hope this helps! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Andrew, I think you give the best general answer. Thank you for commenting. But since mine are educational videos that have a lot of content (not just a pretty face) I use the “Fit Video” option. I think that precludes viewing from a narrow device like a phone in portrait mode. I’m still finding my way...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @RICK VAN NESS, thanks for raising that point!

That being said, it is still possible for respondents to view your videoask (with the “fit video” option enabled) on mobile. Of course, the video won’t take up much real estate given the limitations of a narrow screen, but it’s doable.

Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂