Answered

VideoAsk - Participant watches video while responding to it

• 17 March 2023
  • 5 replies

I work with Deaf users and sign language.  I would like to have them watch a video and respond while the video is playing.   Is that possible.  When I designed some small surveys, and hit preview, it allows me to record my response while watching the video playing.  I shared this with a colleague and she says that no, she can not record her answer and simultaneously watch the video.   I must be doing something wrong.  Help

icon

Best answer by andrew_videoask 17 March 2023, 19:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Campbell McDermid, thanks for reaching out with your question! This is a really neat use case. 

I just tested a variety of scenarios and wasn’t able to respond (either by video or audio) while the video was playing. I tried experimenting on mobile and desktop, and with videos with and without audio.

Unfortunately, it seems like this functionality isn’t currently supported. 

The one potential workaround I can think of is creating two separate videoasks and embedding them on a single page of your website. That way, respondents should be able to watch videoask A without interruption while simultaneously responding in videoask B.

I hope this helps!

I tried that.  I embedded one video in the site from Youtube and then embedded a Videoask question page in the site - sadly when I tried to hit reply,  it would not give permission for the camera or microphone.  When I tried with a different browser, it opened up a new page to Videoask. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Campbell McDermid Can you share the link to the webpage where you tried this? As long as the page has a valid SSL certificate, it should work 🙂

I am using Google sites.  So that maybe the problem.  It is https so it should be secure.

https://sites.google.com/gallaudet.edu/aslvideotest/home

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Campbell McDermid I think I see the problem.

Your website structure looks like this:

<html>

<body>

<html>

<body>

</body>

</html>

</body>

</html>

The bolded part of my code is what you’d want to replace with the iframe embed code itself. 

Currently, your setup is effectively creating a sub-page within your main page, which is preventing videoask from getting the necessary SSL and camera & microphone permissions from the user’s browser.