⚽ 2022 World Cup prediction league ⚽

• 22 November 2022
  • 54 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey all,

The World Cup is now officially up and running and I thought we could have a bit of fun with it here on the Community. Thanks to @Grace for planting the seed of the idea in this thread, I decided to create a “World Cup Predictor league” (obviously using Typeform to power it). 

So here’s the big idea:

• Each day I’ll create a new typeform where you can predict the scores of the matches of the next day.
  • I’ll post it here in this topic every day and participants need to fill it out with what they think the scores will be.
  • Points will be awarded depending on the accuracy of your predictions (10 points for the correct result and score; 3 points for a correct team score: and 2 points for a correct result (but where the 2 scores were wrong)
  • I’ll knock together a league table and keep a running total of how everyone performs. Don’t feel pressure to play it every day, but obviously the more often you play, the better chance you have of winning.
  • We’re playing just for the pure thrill of the game here, can’t offer a prize for this one folks.

Let’s give it a go and see if this takes off. Here’s the typeform for you to predict tomorrow’s games (I’ll keep adding the new ones here every day so be sure to check back - I’ll ping you in the comments too if you let me know your Community username in the form):

Day 4 (23 November):

Day 5 (24 November):

Day 6 (25 November):

Days 7 & 8 (26/27 November):

Day 9 (28 November):

Day 10 (29 November):

Day 11 (30 November):

Day 12 (1 December):

Day 13 (2 December):

Days 14 & 15 (3 &4 December):

Days 16 & 17 (5 & 6 December):

Days 18 & 19 (9 & 10 December):

Semi Finals (13 & 14 December):

Final Weekend (17 & 18 December):

54 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James showcasing yet another great way to use Typeform 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - well done sir.. and whilst it pains me to have entered the score for the Belgium Canada match the way i did, I will be cheering loudly for the Canucks to do better (than i predicted….) - 

@Grace - yes indeed.. will be interesting to see how @James comes up with the league table (will we see all the predictions as well as the results?  enquiring minds are wanting to know lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HAHA @john.desborough nothing like a bit of pressure from one of the great Typeform and Google Sheets masters 😏 I was actually just going to manually display each person’s daily points and then add them to a master league (a bit like this).

But the nerd in me (which let’s face it is just “me”) is toying with the idea of some sort of automated way of showing everyone’s predictions, their daily/total points, as well as the master league table. I even got as far as finding this World Cup predictor spreadsheet template and thinking about how to send data to it from the typeforms and use it to tot everything up. But then I realised I could lose a whole day of work (and not to mention World Cup matches) trying to figure it all out. 

Of course, if there was anyone else out there who could figure out an automated scoring solution like this... 👀

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

HAHA @john.desborough nothing like a bit of pressure from one of the great Typeform and Google Sheets masters 😏 I was actually just going to manually display each person’s daily points and then add them to a master league (a bit like this).

But the nerd in me (which let’s face it is just “me”) is toying with the idea of some sort of automated way of showing everyone’s predictions, their daily/total points, as well as the master league table. I even got as far as finding this World Cup predictor spreadsheet template and thinking about how to send data to it from the typeforms and use it to tot everything up. But then I realised I could lose a whole day of work (and not to mention World Cup matches) trying to figure it all out. 

Of course, if there was anyone else out there who could figure out an automated scoring solution like this... 👀

@James  - i did not read that… gauntlet tossing indeed…. i cannot unsee that… voices 3,5 and 7 in my head have already gone off the lab corner of my brain to work on the solution … no.. i can’t do it.. i have work to do…. who needs to sleep? you’re old des…. MUST. NOT. THINK. ABOUT. THIS. 

NO. NO. NO!!!!!!!!

FIGHT !!!

WIN!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry that gauntlet accidentally dropped on the floor in front of you @john.desborough 😝 Seriously, stop thinking about it. Let’s just say it’s impossible (which it’s not 🙈)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sorry that gauntlet accidentally dropped on the floor in front of you @john.desborough 😝 Seriously, stop thinking about it. Let’s just say it’s impossible (which it’s not 🙈)

@James ….. b*tard! (with a big smile on my face...) it’s been two hours and i have yet to succumb to the shiny thing syndrome… though it has taken 2 coffees, two sessions at the pool table to clear the balls off the top and pacing back and forth in front of the keyboard for 10 minutes staring at the screen.. to not touch it all.. 

so far

not sayin’ it’s impossible but not saying that it is not not impossible.. 

the virtual whiteboard that the voices have created does have circles and arrows and a paragraph about each option being considered regarding how to do this and deliver it.. 

(...now to figure out to get the graph/table to update on open of the google sheet……. ) 

NOT. GOING. THERE. …. yet

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Absolutely on the edge of my seat to know the results though… @James don’t keep us waiting too long...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Morning all! A slow start to day 4 as it stands with Morocco drawing 0-0 with Croatia as it stands (most people predicted a Croatia victory there). 

Here’s your prediction typeform for tomorrow’s matches:

Let’s have your entries in by tomorrow 5AM Eastern Time @john.desborough @Grace @amy.carlson @cate.anti @benjohnson @christome  ...and anyone else who wants to have a crack!

I’ll keep all the scores up together (@john.desborough don’t worry about making the impossible possible - I’ll save you the brainache by doing it manually 🤪) and will post the current league standings every day around this time, along with the typeform for the next day’s predictions. 

Good luck to everyone (but mainly me 😝)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - you are a prince among men sir.. the voices stopped working when the markers ran out of ink and they could no longer make squiggly lines on the virtual whiteboards .. some time about 4am i think .. 

looking forward to seeing who is the premier prognosticator (not procrastinator lol)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Good day fellow soccer supporters!

I’m sure none of you could sleep last night wondering how our World Cup prediction league is shaping up after the first day of play. Well worry no more (unless you’re @cate.anti or @amy.carlson 😝) - I’ve just put down the calculator and can hereby reveal the current standings:

Congrats to @Grace for sneaking into the lead after what was a truly unpredictable day of football action. I mean who would have predicted Japan would beat Germany, or that Spain would win 7-0? Certainly none of us did. 

Good luck with your predictions today – here’s the typeform to complete your forecasts for tomorrow’s matches (FYI @john.desborough @benjohnson @christome @Simon @Cat ) :

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If nothing else, I have this to be proud of 😎⚽🥇

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace - RESPECT!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Wow @James James. Great job.
Don't want to mix in politics, but after the last u.s. election's I'm totally out of prediction's...😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Good morning World Cup clairvoyants 🔮 

Yesterday was a pretty exciting round of matches, not least because we finally got to see Brazil in action. I have to say once they got warmed up they looked very dangerous indeed and are now my bet for the whole tournament. WDYT @christome  @Gabi.Amaral ? Were you happy with what you saw? Aside from Richarlison’s goal I particularly liked Neymar’s triple roll when he got kicked 😝

More importantly, it was a day of drama in our prediction league. After missing the first day of matches through injury @Cat  played an absolute belter yesterday, predicting the correct result of two out of four games to smash straight into 3rd position. Here's the full rundown of the current standings. @Grace is still in front but @Simon is in hot pursuit as he pursues his dream to bring the cup home to the Emerald Isle.

The typeform for this weekend's matches is now ready here, so it's time to get your predicting hats on @Grace @john.desborough @Simon @Cat @christome @benjohnson @cate.anti @amy.carlson @suzieq @Reka @SynthGoblin 

And @the conservative  – hahah, no worries, that's totally understandable. Although perhaps the World is just the tonic you need to take your mind off politics for a while 😊 Tonight is England v USA and I actually think the U.S. is capable of doing well, despite England's good performance against Iran. Let's see!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I can’t let the fact that I’m on holiday next week stop me from retaining the top spot! Going to have to sneakily submit my predictions in-between looking at glaciers 😆

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Go Lions! go Canucks.. and i agree with @Grace that she has to do some work to keep that top spot.. 

@James - great job with this.. !!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Aaaah I absolutely LOVE THIS! I'm already participating in two world cup tournaments to predict the results! Hehehehe. 

I'd love to see Brazil winning its 6th World Cup, but to be honest, I don't think it will happen. However, I think Richarlison's goal was the most beautiful one until now! I really don't like Neymar and I don't think we need him to win! I'm happy with Richarlison, Vini Jr. and Lucas Paquetá! Hehehehe. 

Are you optimistic with England, @James and @Grace? Oh and I'm hoping to see Canada score its first goal in World Cups, @john.desborough!!

Cheers to footbal/soccer! Hehehe 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Gabi.Amaral - miss you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey footballheads,

Here with a mid-weekend update of the proceedings. Things are tastier than a turkey dinner in the league. The big news is that @benjohnson has finally turned up in the tournament, much like Argentina last night. He’s nailed 3 correct scores in the last 2 days and is now sitting pretty at the top (unlucky @Grace :P)

In other news, newcomers to the league @suzieq @Reka @SynthGoblin and @Gabi.Amaral  have all got off to a solid start, while propping up the bottom is @Jon whose prediction that Senegal would beat Qatar 37-0 just fell short (though he was correct that Qatar scored nil so he still picked up points).

The World Cup never lets up and tomorrow awaits another 4 fixtures. Feel free to start picking now in this typeform

As for England @Gabi.Amaral , the less said about it the better 🤦‍♂️ Here’s hoping we can slay the dragons of Wales next (surely we can, right?) And yes, I agree with @john.desborough - we miss you 😿

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - well done to stay up the top and to @benjohnson well done!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Miss you too @john.desborough and @James! Although Canada was eliminated, I'm happy they scored their first goal! 

Now, I'm looking forward to Spain x Germany!! Although Spain is playing a bit better, you can never underestimate Germany! It'll be fun to watch! 😍

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah, I was pleased too that Canada are off the mark @john.desborough bodes well for 2026 (when I’m actually hoping to get over to North America to see a few games 🤞)

@Gabi.Amaral @christome  Hope Brazil does well tonight. I almost feel they will be more relaxed without Neymar. He’s amazing but he does seem to create a certain tension, so I think they’ll win comfortably!

Here’s the table after yesterday’s matches:

There’s not much change at the top, with @benjohnson still hanging on but all to play for today.

Here’s the form for predicting tomorrow’s matches. Don’t forget to get your entries in – or risk slipping down the table, which is what happened to some of you this weekend - @Simon @benjohnson @Grace @john.desborough @Cat @amy.carlson @Reka @Gabi.Amaral @suzieq @cate.anti @SynthGoblin 

Good luck!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - it’s going to be fun in 26 over here.. and will be a much different ‘vibe’ and not as hot lol.. 

It was a nice goal for the Canucks yesterday but I can feel the disappointment in the lads for not advancing.. next time!

good luck all !!

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Greetings! Happy Tuesday all.

Today we enter the final round of group matches in the World Cup, including England who just need to not lose 4-0 against Wales to go through. For some reason I’m still nervous, given all the years of disappointment.

Here’s the latest league table. Not much change at the top, but watch out for @amy.carlson who has been quietly climbing up from the bottom of the league last week 🙌

Here’s your typeform for tomorrow’s predictions all @benjohnson @Grace @christome @Cat @amy.carlson @Simon @john.desborough @Reka @Gabi.Amaral @suzieq  @cate.anti @SynthGoblin 

Finally, on a slightly sour note : one player, who shall remain anonymous (for now :P), was caught by officials diddling the system yesterday, posting a very suspicious looking 3-3 prediction on the Cameroon vs Serbia game. After investigation, it was found out that said player had registered their predictions after the match (one of the many benefits of Typeform is that each response is time-stamped). I have issued this player a yellow card and given them a strict ticking off 🟨

Let this be a warning to you all - cheats will not prosper and you will be caught and punished for any wrong-doing (this isn’t FIFA :P)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - did they dive and flop on the ground writhing ?? 

it would be a national holiday if Wales wins.. just sayin’ …..