Barception

Show first post

982 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello all, slight change of topic, today is Pancake Day in the UK and although I’m not actually there, I’ll probably be eating pancakes after work - does this exist anywhere else or is it just a British thing?? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace - Shrove Tuesday/Pancake Tues happens in lots of places that follow the Christian faith .. (agnostic me but my wife follows) - tonight will be apple cinnamon pancakes per the ask of the wee beastie in the house.. (not sure if the fresh strawberries, chocolate and whipped cream she wants as well will be served .. but)

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ooooh @john.desborough apple cinnamon, that’s a good combo, haven’t tried that before! 

I really like maple syrup on pancakes but I don’t always spot it in the shops here in Barcelona so might go for a traditional lemon and sugar or strawberries and chocolate is always a winner! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace - personally my fave is a chickpea flour base, with some hot salsa (homemade cuz i can lol) mixed into the batter with a big scoop of guacamole on top… my older kids used to think i was nuts until they turned about 25, respectively, and now they love them that way too.. but not the 6 yr old.. “too spicy daddie” lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough haha! Yeh I still prefer sweet, but there’s a place in Barcelona that does kimchi pancakes which are pretty delicious...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OMG guys @Grace @john.desborough I am sooooo excited about pancake day. Off to buy my ingredients in a bit. I was gonna do the usual tuna/sweetcorn/mayo for the savoury and then lemon and sugar for the dessert one (my son will do his usual chocolate/syrup/marshmallow/hundreds and thousands/whipped cream/cinnamon special). 

But now I’m wondering if I’m missing a trick. Apple and cinnamon sounds incredible, as does Des’ hot mush. I also just saw a recipe for a tasty looking brie and bacon affair. Some tough choices to be made...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James brie and bacon??? That sounds like a festive pancake right there, throw in some cranberry sauce and I’m in!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - brie and bacon does sound like it would taste delicious.. though tending toward a clogged artery or two lol.. 

regardless of how you mix ‘em up, they really are simple and an easy way to clear out the fridge of ‘stuff’ - i just got a note from a friend that instead of doing potato skins (with sour cream, chives, cheddar cheese and bacon bits) he is replacing the potatoes with pancakes.. 

@Grace - we will just have to wait for evidence of @James culinary accomplishments tomorrow .. lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yep, @john.desborough @James we may need to provide some photographic evidence tomorrow...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Grace @john.desborough this was mine - sorry for the poor photo quality, my hand was shaking with excitement. In the foreground was mine (tuna, sweetcorn, mayo), in the background Leo’s (tuna, sweetcorn, mayo, nutella, sugar, lemon juice :nauseated_face: )

I love the sound of the potato skin filling pancakes. Definitely will do those next year!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James @john.desborough here’s mine, I went for the classic lemon and sugar and then a couple of strawberry with chocolate spread. Full disclosure, I had batter left over so had pancakes for breakfast too :joy:
@James is Leo having tuna, sweetcorn, mayo, nutella, sugar and lemon all in the same pancake??? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James - by the time i realized that all the plates i had put out for photo evidence had been half eaten, i only ended up with this photo of the leftovers already put into a storage bin by the sous-chef

picture the ‘crepe-ish’ beast with sliced avocados, diced tomatoes and covered in salsa 

the ones underneath have chocolate chips in half and cranberries in the others.. 

yeah i know i have to redo the photos of the plated dishes but at least there is some evidence lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I feel like I need to up my pancake game, need to try some new flavours! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough my goodness me this looks like some treat. I love the idea of cranberries in them. And @Grace strawberries are a great shout too :strawberry: I’m really craving pancakes again now. Shame we have to wait another 364 days...:disappointed_relieved:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James  - hah! around our house, it’s trying to make sure the wee beastie doesn’t order pancakes every day !!!   usually Saturday morning here… ‘cakes and waffles (same batter works for us) .. and after i head to the market to get fresh fruits before the ladies slither out from under the covers lol.. 

also my excuse to hit the bagel shop for ‘right out of the oven’ bagels for the drive back to the house… 

and now .. i think i will go make some for me lunch!!

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@James I’ve been making pancakes loads recently, I don’t think you should confine yourself to once a year, you deserve more pancakes!!
@john.desborough please tell us more about these bagels, so hard to find good bagels in Barcelona! Now I’m thinking what my weekend brunch plans could be… :pancakes:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello, all! Apologies for being a bit quiet here. I was unexpectedly back home in Minnesota for a few weeks for some family things, and I’m working on moving apartments now in Chicago. 

When I came back to Chicago, I came back to a large crater outside my apartment: 

I looked it up online, and I guess they’re building a house now. If you hear any drilling in the background of my videos, you know why ha!

I can’t believe I missed pancake day! These photos all look so good. I know what I’m doing right after I move! 

@john.desborough do you add anything in particular to your waffles?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow @Liz that is quite the hole! Hopefully it’s not too disruptive/annoying! I think you deserve pancakes and waffles to make up for missing pancake day and living next to a crater! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Grace oh, there is noise! This is them going at it today. I can’t tell if they’re digging a bigger hole or what, but then again, I’ve never watched a house be built from scratch. Thankfully I’m moving on the 13th!

But now I need to know - what pancakes/waffles should I make in the new place? 

@Paulo any moving tips? :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz - here are some of my faves - the coconut waffles are awesome but if you need gluten free i put another list at the end.. 

keep in mind i am plant based, so these feed everyone in this house. 

https://rouxbe.com/recipes/5241-coconut-waffles

https://rouxbe.com/recipes/5331-chickn-waffles-plant-based

and yes the following recipe, even though for ‘cups’ is awesome as a waffle. 

https://allergyawesomeness.com/egg-and-dairy-free-frittata/

gluten/dairy/egg free version that is base for most of the sweet or savoury around here:

1 cup brown rice flour

1 cup quick cook oat meal

half cup of potato starch

scant quarter cup of tapioca starch 

2 tbsp ground flax meal

2 tbsp of coconut sugar

1 tbsp of baking powder

¼ tsp baking soda

pinch of salt

mix all of those in a bowl 

wet ingredients to mix together first, before adding to dry

• 12 oz (or metric equiv) of fave nut milk (or oat milk,etc.. ) i prefer cashew milk
  • 2 tbsp agave syrup 
  • 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract (optional - great for sweet toppings, omit for savoury)
  • 2 tbsp vegan butter (i use Earth Balance) melted

mix all the wet ingredients first then add to the dry .. mix and let stand for about 15 minutes - or however long it takes you to grab a shower and make coffee (there is an order to life happening people!)

you may need to add a little more ‘milk’ to the bowl and stir it in.. it should not be stiff but it should not be thin and runny either.. add a little for the first waffle then if you need to add more before you put the second one in the pan.. 

If you want to add things like salsa or berries (cranberries are really good!) or raisins and apple into the batter before you cook the waffle that can make for a lot of neat options.. 

ok.. now that is what is on the menu for the morning .. 

btw.. Rouxbe is an amazing place to learn how to really extend your skills in the kitchen.. when i went plant-based i did their Plant Professional course.. really really good if you want to understand a lot more about how to build skills and recipes/dishes if you want/need more plants on your plate , i strongly recommend checking them out.. (start with those recipes up top)

des ‘the hungry curmudgeon’

I have celiac so i usually eat gluten free diet. After seeing these juicy recipes, i can’t wait to go fishing again when the weather is clear. Then i’ll share some nice pics from my trip here. Have a good day.
https://thewadingkit.com/

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@amanda_james - good to hear! do you use typeform or have any questions about typeform at all??

des

@amanda_james - good to hear! do you use typeform or have any questions about typeform at all??

des

Hi @john.desborough, yes. i am a regular user of typeform. i’ll be asking my queries here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@amanda_james - good to hear.. i don’t see any on your website though.. do you use them internally?? 

if so, how are you using them? we are all looking for new use cases … 

cheers

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Grace oh, there is noise! This is them going at it today. I can’t tell if they’re digging a bigger hole or what, but then again, I’ve never watched a house be built from scratch. Thankfully I’m moving on the 13th!

But now I need to know - what pancakes/waffles should I make in the new place? 

@Paulo any moving tips? :grinning:

Oh my gosh @Liz that sounds painful! I guess kind of interesting to see a house being built, but not when you’re trying to record videos haha! My neighbours have started doing some renovations this morning, I’m hoping it’s nothing too extreme…

@john.desborough those coconut waffles look delicious, need to give them a try! Love the plant base and gluten base alternatives, always on the hunt for easy recipes/alternatives, I come from the school of flour and butter but have so many plant based friends now I really want to be able to make good birthday cakes for them! Always get scared off by recipes with a million ingredients :joy:

@amanda_james whereabouts are you based? Looking forward to seeing some snaps from your trip!