Barception

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
  • Tech Community Advocate
  • 12869 replies

Happy Monday, all!

Ages ago when we could work in the office, we used to hang around the Barception - Typeform’s take on a reception with exactly what it sounds like - a bar!

We’re bringing the Barception to all of you, and you can virtually visit it below: 

Think of this as your virtual meeting space where you can say hello in the morning and goodbye in the evening, talk about what you’ve got planned this weekend or what your favorite beverage of choice is, morning or night!

I’m currently drinking iced coffee today - what about you all?

988 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Gabi Amaral @Gabriel @Grace y’all are all too kind and happy to share it with you all. I appreciate you all letting me know your thoughts.

Gaby, to answer your question, no, I don’t teach how to draw in any of my courses, lol, but it’s nice that you’re interested. It’s a lifelong hobby of mine, but I’m more compelled to teach folks other skills in entrepreneurship and personal development at this time.

If I were to do a course in the art world, it would probably be around how to use a program like Canva or Illustrator to do your own branding or how to use any of the products I’m an affiliate for, which is in my plans!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Darnell it must be a very calming hobby, and a beautiful one! Hehehe. I imagine you were not teaching that in your courses, it's just that the drawing is very good!

A branding tutoring does make sense to you and it'd be great! I, myself, love creating these things on Canva! Hope you can get to it in the future! 🤞🏼

@Grace I love how versatile you are, always up to a fun and original activity (bird watching, wine tasting)! Keep us posted on your adventures, they're pretty cool! 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Gabi Amaral I’ll be sure to update you all on my next adventures, whenever they may be! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Gabi Amaral it is in deed a calming hobby and something that’s saved for the special occasions, lol! It’s also a good fallback tutorial I could create if things go sideways with the courses I’m creating on other topics.

Anyway, have an excellent rest of the week ahead and all you all’s dreams come true in April!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hoping my dreams will come true in April, yes! @Darnell!

At least the first weekend of the month was pretty nice! Yesterday I went to the beach with my mom and we had some quality time together! It was a bit cloudy but that was actually nice because the beach was not crowded and I could even take a nap! 😴

Hoping you have a nice April! @john.desborough @Michaela @talon256 @Paulo @Grace @Liz@belinda_long  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow, that drawing @Darnell ! I wish I was that talented in all my casual hobbies ha!

@Gabi Amaral Carnival looks so fun! I can’t remember - is this the first year they’ve had it since the pandemic began? 

@Gabriel where did you all hike?

My friend from France moved back to California last month, so I’ve been spending time with her when I’m here. This weekend, she made us seafood ceviche, and the picture doesn’t do it justice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz - it’s 1030 pm here and NOW i am hungry when i see this… looks very tasty!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

YES, @Liz! Oficially, yes. In February this year we had carnival but a non-official one! The last one was in 2020! 

Ah, so nice having friends over and the food looks delicious! Just out of curiosity, do you speak French??

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Liz you are too kind, ha! And shrimp ceviche is def the bomb diggity! Kim’s making some on Thu for us and her parents. Will take pics and share if I remember, which I usually do! In the meantime, may this poutine that my father-in-law made a few weeks ago hold you over. You know it was delish!!🤤

@Gabi Amaral Kim is French-Canadian, so I do speak French now (FWIW) after have been learning it over the past 17 years through a combo of immersion from visits to Quebec and Rosetta Stone, ha!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Darnell - ahhhh.. the national dish of Quebec!! though most would say not enough gravy … lol.. 

Living in Ottawa and with spawn in Montreal, we have a whole raft of poutine-houses here that range from the traditional to ‘Mexican’ with curds and chili. Being of the plant-based eating crowd, my fave at a resto here in Ottawa is a ‘vegan’ poutine with cashew cheese curds and a great mushroom gravy.. 

my 6 yr old proudly wears the gravy-face every time we sneak out on mom and get some lol.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@john.desborough yes! It’s like Quebec’s version of soul food or comfort food.

And you’re right about that gravy! I’m a sauce guy so I like my poutine as a bowl of gravy with a few fries and curds thrown in, haha!

Thanks for sharing about that vegan poutine too! As a pescetarian (or pesky-tarian depending on who you ask), I would love to try that dish with cashew curds and mushroom gravy, for sure!

I often like experimenting with different vegan cheeses and cashew cheese most certainly is the best nacho dip-style cheese. Violife and Follow Your Heart make the best vegan cream cheese, IMO. There’s a vegan mac & cheese recipe out there that’s to die for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@john.desborough (if you know where I can find some buyable cashew cheese curds here in the States, do share!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Darnell - i make a lot of my own vegan cheeses cuz they are just so darn expensive to buy!  but i do agree on the ones you mention, based on my experience in the US. Here in Ottawa, there is a small company called Zengarry that makes wonderful vegan cheese. Near London, Ontario there is a company called Nuts for Cheese that makes some really good varieties… 

I will check with my plant-based chef/cook friends south of the border to see if they have any recommendations on the cashew curds.. 

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey friends, how is everybody doing? This is actually my first post in the community!

I used to work at Typeform’s HQ and absolutely loved our Barception. Now I’m fully remote so this thread feels like the right place to be!

I’m looking forward to participating more in the community :D

Badge +5

Lovely having you here @Ethan M. ! What would you like to have? 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@john.desborough sounds good! Here in the States, cashew cheese is about as expensive as cashews themselves, lol, so making our own would be about the pride of doing it ourselves and/or testing out diff concoctions. That said, preparing food / creating dishes is a wonderful activity that I love.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Darnell - you should try making up some brazil-nut based chipotle cheddar… I am on the last brick of the batch i made 6 weeks ago - it ages and gets nice and sharp  - and will be making more this weekend.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@john.desborough  😮

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Lovely having you here @Ethan M. ! What would you like to have? 😜

Thank you! May I have a matcha with agave syrup and almond milk, please? 🤤

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough @Darnell super intrigued by your nutty cheese convo… any recipes or pics you wanna share? I’ve never tried to make my own cheese (of any variety) how much effort goes into it?! 🧀

@Ethan M. welcome welcome! Good to have you here on the community too! 🤗

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I confess I got lost on this cheese conversation, so my only comment will be: I love cheese! Any kind of cheese, it doesn't matter, cheese makes our lives better! 🧀

With that being said, I'm not sure you know but I lived in Canada for one year and a half, and I remember eating a lot of poutine! @Darnell So delicious!

And Des, make sure to share your cheese recipes with us! I know how to make a white cheese we have in Brazil that is similar to a ricotta! @john.desborough 

Welcome to our Community, @Ethan M.! Hope we can meet in person anytime soon! 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace - the hardest thing to give up when i went to the dark side (vegan or plant-based diet) was cheese… so i looked around to try and find good recipes. The book below became my bible for the first couple of years… and i have about 200 other recipes that i have tried … including some that say divide the batch into three and put one on each of three different shelves in the fridge or a cool pantry to ‘dry’ and age. eat one batch now .. the other in one month and the other in two… and make more in between.. omg that approach made an aged sharp cheddar to die for and a nice rind on a brie… 

and as @Liz says, there must be pics.. so i will be making some this weekend and will post the WIP And the result.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ooh thanks @john.desborough I had no idea that if you left it, it would age like a traditional cheese! Will have to take a look… and yes to pics please!

I’m off back to the motherland this weekend, going to visit the family in England and I’m hoping for some hot cross buns from one of my fav bakeries…

Anyone got any fun weekend plans?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Heeeeeello! 

I was not feeling well on Friday, a lot of headache! 😫 So, I was quiet on Friday night and Saturday morning/afternoon. At night, I went to a concert on the top of the Sugarloaf Mountain and this is the view I got…

So, yes, weekend was very nice! How is England? @Grace 

Has anyone done anything fun? @john.desborough @Darnell @Liz @Michaela 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

spectacular @Gabi Amaral … 

fun?? qualify that word lol - I got to spend Saturday afternoon helping my 6 yr old daughter arrange all her Barbies around the campervan and tent in the living room when they ‘went on safari’ … she was thrilled to spend all afternoon playing with the dolls instead of having to do a tidy-up lol That was precious fun!

yesterday i managed to get out for a 100-km bicycle ride (first long ride of the year) - started in sunshine, then a 5 minute snow-squall, then rain for 30 minutes then sunshine to dry out at the end.. I think i need to pour coffee directly into the knee joints to get them to move freely this morning lol

And all that riding was done on bike trails around the city of Ottawa (except for the first and last 200 metres).. I need a nap or two today