Community Movie Club

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was reading some of the topics in the Community and noticed that we don't have a space to talk about films and TV series! 📽

Since one of my favorite things in the world is watching movies, I decided to create this thread. Last weekend, I watched King Richard and would definitely recommend it! I love movies that are based on true stories and also the ones that talk about sports (One of my favorites of all time is "The Blind Side").

Not sure what I'm in the mood for now, so I'm here to ask: What are your movie and TV program suggestions? 🍿

138 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@James @Liz @Grace @Gabi.Amaral @Darnell 

Last night my wife and I were talking about actors who have played a bunch of different types of characters over the years. She was surprised and amazed at John Travolta - from Welcome Back Kotter to Saturday Night Fever to Grease to Pulp Fiction etc.. Having grown up and emigrated from China in the mid 90s, she doesn’t know a lot of the ‘pop culture’ from North America.

She didn’t know that he could dance so I showed her this clip from SNF and we ended up watching the whole movie - she had never seen it lol.. 

Now, this is the sort of think I would expect at the next gathering of the clan at @James TikiBar … and @Grace and @Darnell, i think on your skates you could get some funky moves in to the sound track.. 

in any event.. now that you are all rolling your eyes, have a great rest of day and fabulous weekend. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough so true, Travolta has got a huge range when you look back on all the movies he’s done! I don’t think he had any formal dance training either, or very little if I remember rightly. 

I better get practicing on my skates if I need to pull out a performance worthy of SNF! @Darnell how are your skating skills? Can you do any tricks?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@James @Liz @Grace @Gabi.Amaral @Darnell 

Last night my wife and I were talking about actors who have played a bunch of different types of characters over the years. She was surprised and amazed at John Travolta - from Welcome Back Kotter to Saturday Night Fever to Grease to Pulp Fiction etc.. Having grown up and emigrated from China in the mid 90s, she doesn’t know a lot of the ‘pop culture’ from North America.

She didn’t know that he could dance so I showed her this clip from SNF and we ended up watching the whole movie - she had never seen it lol.. 

Now, this is the sort of think I would expect at the next gathering of the clan at @James TikiBar … and @Grace and @Darnell, i think on your skates you could get some funky moves in to the sound track.. 

in any event.. now that you are all rolling your eyes, have a great rest of day and fabulous weekend. 

des

@john.desborough haha, I’ve actually never seen SNF so I’m sure this clip will be a trip for me to watch. Bidding you an awesome weekend ahead too, sir!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@john.desborough so true, Travolta has got a huge range when you look back on all the movies he’s done! I don’t think he had any formal dance training either, or very little if I remember rightly. 

I better get practicing on my skates if I need to pull out a performance worthy of SNF! @Darnell how are your skating skills? Can you do any tricks?

@Grace No *real* tricks except for the essentials like skating backwards, ride on one leg, etc that you do at the skating rink. How about you??

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Darnell - i was 17 when the movie came out.. a small town kid .. all the seniors in school got really caught up the craze lol… in 78 i spent the summer in Quebec City taking some summer courses at the university there.. and one of the big name discos in the city put in a floor like this one and they had weekly competitions to get the best impersonation … a few of my friends tried it out but i have 4 left feet.. not a chance lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Grace No *real* tricks except for the essentials like skating backwards, ride on one leg, etc that you do at the skating rink. How about you??

@Darnell at the moment I’m just concentrating on not falling over 😆 I want to learn to skate backwards though! If I could spin too that’d be awesome but that’s on the future skating wish list haha!

@john.desborough do you have any photos from your disco days??

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace - i never ever did the disco days… my dance moves are the same as the ground hog in Caddyshack… if i went at all, it was for the bird-watching.. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Darnell Hmm..yes, I don't have access to Paramount but I watched the trailer and it seems pretty nice! Lots of famous actors! 

@Liz Yeaaah, I heard a lot of people talking about this series...however, not sure if I want to watch another "go to Italy for some time alone and then meets a great looking Italian and etc" 😅 If I decide to give it a chance, I'll let you know!

@john.desborough @Grace so true that Travolta is incredibly eclectic! One movie that I absolutely adore and that he plays a woman is in the remake of "HairSpray". I'm not huge on musicals, but I love this version! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh yeah @Gabi.Amaral I forgot about Hairspray that’s a great movie! I love musicals, but I’m not so big on movie musicals (especially when there are big name actors in it that can’t sing 🙈) this one was a good one though! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@john.desborough oh wow, what a story! And 4 left feet!? 👀😆

@Gabi.Amaral gotcha, yeah, I’m looking forward to it. Btw, how is your new post-TF journey going now that you’re 1 week in?

@Grace I think there are some excellent musicals out there: West Side Story (both of them), Sound of Music, and Les Miserables (the one with Hugh Jackson although Russell Crowe can’t sing haha) in particular. I liked La La Land too although not really as a musical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well gang, I thought I would share that I’ve just finished the latest series of The Crown on Netflix - anyone else watch it?

I also watched my first Netflix holiday movie last night, Christmas With You - bit of a blast from the past to see Freddie Prinze Jr starring in it!

It was of course incredibly cheesy, but what else do you expect?! 🧀

@Darnell @john.desborough @Gabi.Amaral @Liz anyone watching anything other than sports right now?! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace - the wee one in the house has control of the remotes, so it is all kids Christmas movies…. 

all the time.. 

have to watch the footie while she is at school. lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

haha oh dear @john.desborough what kind of movies are you being subjected to? My favourites are still Elf, The Grinch (Jim Carey version) and of course Muppets Christmas Carol 🐸

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace here’s the list over the last few days: 

• David and the Elves
  • Shaun the Sheep: the flight before christmas
  • Rescue Riders: Huttsgalor Holiday
  • The Christmas Chronicles 1 & 2
  • Angela’s Christmas 1 & 2
  • Super Monsters: Santa’s Super MOnster Helpers
  • Spirit Riding Free - the spirit of christmas
  • Trolls Holiday
  • A christmas special: Miraculous - tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
  • The Grinch who stole Christmas - the animated version not Jim Carrey’s version

and that was the list since noon sunday.. lol.. keeping track so my wife can watch ‘something different’ with the little one 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Grace here’s the list over the last few days: 

• David and the Elves
  • Shaun the Sheep: the flight before christmas
  • Rescue Riders: Huttsgalor Holiday
  • The Christmas Chronicles 1 & 2
  • Angela’s Christmas 1 & 2
  • Super Monsters: Santa’s Super MOnster Helpers
  • Spirit Riding Free - the spirit of christmas
  • Trolls Holiday
  • A christmas special: Miraculous - tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
  • The Grinch who stole Christmas - the animated version not Jim Carrey’s version

and that was the list since noon sunday.. lol.. keeping track so my wife can watch ‘something different’ with the little one 

Oh I’m a big fan of The Christmas Chronicles! 

That is an epic list of movies though, bravo!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I know it's an old one, but this is what I watched lately, really good job.

https://myflixer.pw/movie/forgetting-sarah-marshall-17433

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ooh great shout @the conservative always a good one to watch! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I once tried to watch The Umbrella Academy, but I couldn’t get into it for the life of me. Maybe I need to give it a go again!

@Darnell I loved Soul!! What a great film. I met the writers of it back at a conference last year, and I just love their approach to Pixar films. 

@john.desborough I just saw Encanto, but I need to see Turning Red! I’m trying not to have to restart my Disney+ subscription, so I need to make a new friend that has it first ha!

I was in a full-on creative workload this weekend, so I watched some movies that would make me think and loved them! Added them below. I think they’ve become two of my top favorite movies within the last few years. 

I think the guy in the second movie is in Peaky Blinders, if I read his bio right, @Gabi Amaral @Grace !

I nearly forgot to tell you @Liz that I finally got round to watching “Good Luck to You, Leo Grande” but I made the mistake of watching it on the plane back from the UK, which was kind of awkward given the content of some of the scenes 😂

Anyway, still thought it was brilliant so thanks for the rec!

It’s been a while since we chatted movies and TV, anyone watch anything recently that’s worth a share? 

@Darnell @ActionJackson @john.desborough @James @Gabi.Amaral @andrew_videoask 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Grace HAHAHAH yeah...that would be an awkward one to watch on a plane.

Also, I did end up watching all three seasons of Umbrella Academy, and I can now say that I liked it!

I’ve been watching a lot of tennis documentaries and, embarrassingly, Bling Empire: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the recommendations @Grace @Liz  - I shall add them to the list.

We went to see the new Avatar film recently at an iMax cinema. I have to say it was one of the best movie experiences I’ve had. The seats were so comfortable. They were leather upholstered and you could press a button and they recline almost to a horizontal position. The 3D effects and the sound was also mind/ear blowing. I thought the film itself was a heap of junk but I did enjoy getting 40 winks on that comfy seat. I’d recommend it for anyone who’s in need of a nice nap!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That made me chuckle @James 😂 

I just finished watching a Spanish series, Machos Alfa on Netflix. Not sure if it’s available internationally but I thoroughly enjoyed it! 

How good is Umbrella Academy @Liz ? I can’t wait for the next series! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for the recommendations @Grace @Liz  - I shall add them to the list.

We went to see the new Avatar film recently at an iMax cinema. I have to say it was one of the best movie experiences I’ve had. The seats were so comfortable. They were leather upholstered and you could press a button and they recline almost to a horizontal position. The 3D effects and the sound was also mind/ear blowing. I thought the film itself was a heap of junk but I did enjoy getting 40 winks on that comfy seat. I’d recommend it for anyone who’s in need of a nice nap!

i had the same experience on the vacay recently… lol.. parked the wee beast in the ‘kids club’ on the boat and then we went to see the film in the on-ship theatre… i fell asleep about 10 minutes into the movie - my wife was impressed by the quality of the images but thought it was too violent.. thankfully i slept through most of it too.. lol

des

Userlevel 3

This group will appreciate this! 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Great idea @normaventura thanks for sharing this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@normaventura Great reminder that I need to watch all these movies this weekend!