Answered

Drill down on multiple choices

• 22 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

We are asking a question with multiple choices.  We want the ask a series of questions as a follow up for each of the items selected in thee first question.  Is it possible to use the logic jumps to ask follow ups for every selection in the first question.  

For example:

Q1 -  What kind of cereal do you buy:  A) Kashi, B) frosted flakes, C) cheerios, D) Oatmeal.  

Respondent answers:  A  (Kashi) and D (Oatmeal).  

Survey Then asks

2a. How often do you eat Kashi, 2b. How often do you buy Kashi, 2c. Do you share your Kashi.

Then the survey asks:  

3a. How often do you eat Oatmeal, 3b. How often do you buy Oatmeal 3c. Do you share your Oatmeal?

The Survey skips asking questions about B and C completely!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 22 April 2021, 23:25

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MadMD - welcome to the community from a fellow user. 

the short answer is yes, using the Advance Logic area in the new builder version of the Typeform software. 

check out this article here: https://help.typeform.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054770931-Use-multi-branching-and-Advanced-Logic-to-show-relevant-questions

if you have further questions on the specifics, please let us know

des

Userlevel 1

I will try this out! The example seems to apply directly to what I am trying to do!

Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MadMD - let us know if this helps.. if you have more questions (often the case lol) please come back and drop them in here.. 

cheers

des

Hi @MadMD, did this work for you? I am trying to set up something similar, I followed the advanced logic sent by @john.desborough but I must be doing something wrong. 

To keep it simple I’ll refer to your original example. The logic works for the first choice in Q1 but not for the second choice i.e.

“ Then the survey asks:  

3a. How often do you eat Oatmeal, 3b. How often do you buy Oatmeal 3c. Do you share your Oatmeal?” 

Instead it takes me to “Submit” after responding to the questions related to the first choice.

Any advice? 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Emily C - welcome to the community 

if you would care to share screen shots of your logic path and of your branching/calculations logic rules, so that we can see how your logic is structured. i created this example of the original post in about 10 minutes just now. hopefully you can see how the application can work. 

Usually on the initial question where Kashi and Oatmeal were selected, the logic flow goes something like this (assuming that the choice of kashi and oatmeal) - folks forget to to repeat the sequence of “what else might have been selected back on q1”

the following logic is a simple rule of thumb walk through question groups started out of a multiple choice with additional choices made. 

Logic rules on Q1

• if q1 = kashi jump to q2 (i use a question group for the followup questions) 
  • if q1 = frosted flakes jump to q3
  • if q1 = cheerios jump to q4
  • if q1 = oatmeal jump to q5

Logic rules on q2-c (the ‘do you share question)

• if q1 = frosted flakes jump to q3
  • if q1=oatmeal jump to q5

Logic rules on q3-c (the ‘do you share question)

Logic rules on q4-c (the ‘do you share question)

the logic rules in Q1 are designed to go to the first question group selected in the linear survey creation, if the q2 option is selected go there first.. if q2 is not selected but q3 is, then go there, etc. 

the logic must keep you moving forward in the survey

hope the example at the link above and the logic statement description here suffice to help you move it forward. 

cheers

des

Userlevel 1

Hi @MadMD, did this work for you? I am trying to set up something similar, I followed the advanced logic sent by @john.desborough but I must be doing something wrong. 

To keep it simple I’ll refer to your original example. The logic works for the first choice in Q1 but not for the second choice i.e.

“ Then the survey asks:  

3a. How often do you eat Oatmeal, 3b. How often do you buy Oatmeal 3c. Do you share your Oatmeal?” 

Instead it takes me to “Submit” after responding to the questions related to the first choice.

Any advice? 

Thanks!

My staff person who was supposed to make this work quit the company.  So we never had a chance to implement the suggestions.  I have someone else who will pick this up next week.  I’ll let you know if it works.

Thank you so much @john.desborough your example has helped me sort this out. It works beautifully now.

@MadMD thanks for your reply too and good luck with the survey! 

Userlevel 1

Finally got this working!  

Key learnings…  I hope this helps!

I was surveying people on a multiple choice question with a drill-down on each of the selected choices.

Each selection had a series of questions asked about the choice.

The multiple-choice question required logic for each possible choice to direct the next steps to the right drill down.

Each Final Question in each drill-down series of questions required logic to go back to the each choice in the multiple choice question and ask if any of the remaining choices were selected.

Q1:  What cereal do you eat?  1. Kashi, 2. cheerios, 3. Oatmeal

Q2a: How many boxes of Kashi do you buy a year?

Q2b: Do you eat Kashi with Milk? 

Q2c: Do you put sugar in your Kashi?

Q2c LOGIC:  For Q1 If choice is 2 (Cheerios) then go to 3a (Cheerios - drill down), For Q1 if choice is 3 (Oatmeal) then go to 4a (Oatmeal Drill-down)

Q3a: How many boxes of Cheerios do you buy a year?

Q3b: Do you eat Cheerios with Milk? 

Q3c: Do you put sugar in your Cheerios?

Q3c LOGIC:  For Q1 If choice is 3 (Oatmeal) then go to Q4 (Oatmeal)

Q4a: How many boxes of Oatmeal do you buy a year?

Q4b: Do you eat Oatmeal with Milk? 

Q4c: Do you put sugar in your Oatmeal?

Q4c LOGIC Go to Q5

Q5 What other Cereals do you buy?

Q6:  Etc...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MadMD - glad you got it working! 

don’t be a stranger to the community! lol.. share the wealth as you learn it.. 

cheers

des