Answered

Access Salesforce Contact Record

• 25 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I am new to Typeform, evaluating it for a use case for a non-profit I am working with. Wondering what’s possible with the salesforce integration. I would like to collect name and contact information in a form and then lookup the salesforce contact record to see if they already exist. If they do, then I would like to fill in the address information and ask if it is current. If not, then continue and have them fill in the address information on their own. At the end, if the contact existed, I need to create an opportunity. If the contact is new, then I need to create a lead.

Can anyone tell me about similar use cases and how you handled them?

icon

Best answer by picsoung 4 May 2022, 23:01

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Todd M. Happy Monday! Thanks for checking out Typeform. 😀

Our Salesforce integration is a one-way integration, meaning that we can send data to Salesforce, but we can’t obtain data from Salesforce. You can collect information in your form, but the form itself can’t look within Salesforce to see if the data already exists. 

I’m afraid we don’t have a solution within Typeform that would do this since the questions/answer options need to be pre-set before the form is sent, but how are your respondents accessing the form? For example, are you planning to email them the form to fill out? Or will it be on your website? 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Liz, thanks for the comment. I will try to describe what I was picturing.

I would launch the initial form using a button on the website. With that initial form, I would collect information that could help me identify the person (like an email address), and when that form is submitted I would catch it with either Zapier or Salesforce directly, and look up the contact record.

Now here’s where the imagery-magic came, based on whether or not I found a contact in Salesforce, I would decide which of two forms to continue with next. If they existed, I would “launch” a second form that would feel like we were continuing the conversation by forwarding them to the next form URL. I was hoping I could submit values into that URL to pre-populate the form and questions with the information I had in Salesforce. On this path, I am treating them like a returning customer. On the other path, I would “launch” a form that would continue collecting information as if they were a new customer. 

Eventually, I wanted to use Typeform and Salesforce to identify the best sales person to put them in connect with, and launch a calendly or appointlet to schedule a meeting with a specific resource.

I appreciate the brainstorming. If that triggered any ideas in your head, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Todd.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @Todd M. ! Hm, I don’t have any fancy workarounds offhand for looking up a record in salesforce and then launching a form accordingly (at least since our forms can’t see data outside of typeform). 

@picsoung have you seen anything that could be a workaround for this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Todd M. 
This is a great use case!

I believe this is something you could be doing using Integromat/Make which is a big more complex than Zapier.

The flow:
At the end of your first typeform, your user will be redirected to a URL hosted by integromat. (Help Center article about Redirect on Completion)
To that URL you can pass as many parameters as you wish, they should be things you have collected from respondent like their email, name, company…

On Integromat you can then build the flow that will search for this user in Salesforce, and imagine different path depending on the result and other actions you want to perform.

At the end of the flow, you should use a “HTTP Response” block, we will use it redirect our user to the second typeform.
Status should be 302

And custom headers should contain key: location value: URL_OF_SECONDTYPEFORM

On this URL you can also add some parameters (what we call hidden fields) if you want to add more context.

Flows execute quite fast so it will be transparent for the user, they won’t see a delay between the two typeforms.

Hope this makes sense :)

Userlevel 1

Thank you! Yes, that makes sense. I am going to check out Integromat and then I will try to leave a wrap-up to this question just for future people. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Todd M.! In case you have any doubt about Make (Formerly Integromat), feel free to get in touch with @Michaela! She knows all about it! 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey hey Typeform folks!

Thanks so much for the tag @Gabi Amaral 💜

Hey @Todd M., how lovely to meet you! My name is Michaela and I am the Community Manager at Make. I (shockingly enough) love hanging out in communities and this is my absolute favourite one. 

Anyway, enough about me 😅 I thought I’d share a few links you might find useful when exploring Make (formerly Integromat).

First of all, you can check out the pre-built Typeform and Salesforce integrations we have. The lists of actions and triggers will give you an idea of all the cool things you can automate:

◼ Typeform on Make

◼ Salesforce on Make

When learning how to work with Make, our Help Center is a helpful resource.

We also have a brand new community space where you can ask your Make questions and share your progress with other Makers. 

If you’re curious to try that automation magic, you can simply sign up for a free Make account and get the party started 😊

If you have any questions, feel absolutely free to reach out to me 🙌