Answered

Can I change Google Sheet column headers

• 4 March 2021
  • 5 replies

We collect survey data via integration with Google Sheets. Question: Can we change column headers in a linked sheet while a survey is live?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 4 March 2021, 21:22

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@GoodToBeFrank - this is from a user

i would not recommend it. If you are going to use the data for reporting and want more user friendly headings, add a tab to the Google Sheet and put your custom field names there as column headings and then use the arrayformul() function to pull the data across from the first tab into the second - this will ensure that with every new row added from the survey, the data is pulled into the second tab

do all your reporting off the second tab. 

I do this on a number of typeforms for my business. 

cheers

des

Thanks John, what does that arrayformula() look like, do you just put the first cell with data in the original tab in the brackets and drag over and down?  Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@bryan92675 - here is an example that goes in “row two” of the target spreadsheet: 

=arrayformula('Multiple Intelligence - How are you smart? - ww orig'!BF2:BF)

the name of the tab is pulled in by starting the formula in the cell and then doing the old click on the other tab and then the cell  you want routine. The one thing you need to add is the entire range that this should be looking into ie in the example above it says bf2:bf which means start at cell bf2 and go down the entire range of cells 

sometimes you will need to add a little more to the arrayformula if you are looking at doing calculations etc based on the column.. here’s another little bit

=arrayformula(if(isblank(A2:A), " ", (B2:B/35)))

note that this one checks to see of there is data in column A of the row being evaluated.. if there is not data leave the cell blank (“ “) otherwise put in the results of the calculation

hope that helps

thanks so much @john.desborough ! you are a wizard!  appreciate your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@bryan92675 - happy to help… if it works for you, pay it forward by helping someone out in here or buying a coffee for a stranger.. lol

cheers

des