Answered

GA4 source medium data showing as self-referral

• 6 September 2023
  • 4 replies

I am having a very specific problem in tracking typeform performance at channel levels within GA4. We've successfully set up and can measure total typeform submissions but for some reason all traffic is showing as referral traffic from ourselves instead of retaining the original source/medium data. When we initially set up the integration we were getting full source/medium data then something changed and started showing as a self referral. I found a bit of historical conversations about this but it seemed to not be the exact same problem being addressed in past feeds. 

any insight would be amazing.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by mathio 12 September 2023, 10:38

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @k0k1man Could you send the URL where you have the form embedded? (if it is embedded) Thanks!

Hi @Liz the following form is an example of one of the implementations: https://luminaire.com/pages/schedule-showroom-appointment 

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @k0k1man Thank you for sharing this! This form looks really nice. 

It looks like you might have some custom code pointing to the form. I’m tagging @mathio to see if they notice anything that would prevent this data from entering into the hidden fields. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @k0k1man 

I am afraid you are using old version of the embed SDK. Is this something that was implemented long time (over 2 years) ago? If it is more recent, I’d like to kindly ask where did you get the embed code as we would like to keep all of our docs up to date.

Regarding the issue:

1. please upgrade to latest embed code
    1. you can find latest embed code on your share page
    2. or you can build the code using embed SDK directly
  2. if you are looking to pass tracking query params from your website into your typeform, you can use data-tf-transitive-search-params attribute - see docs on dynamically passing hidden fields

Your new embed code could look, for example, like this:

<div data-tf-widget="pBsGXV5h" 
data-tf-hide-headers
data-tf-transitive-search-params
style="width: 100%; height: 100%;"></div>
<script src="//embed.typeform.com/next/embed.js"></script>