Answered

How to connect the Typeform answer to a specific row in Google Sheet?

• 12 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi! I’m currently creating a database where all the answers from the Typeform questionnaire will be directed. I would like to direct the answers from the Typeform to a specific existing row/s in Google sheet. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for the answers.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 12 October 2021, 17:38

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ben Alderson Thanks for stopping by the community! Our integration only works with new sheets and can’t connect data points to specific rows in an existing sheet. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Ben Alderson - here’s a thought that extends from what @Liz was mentioning:

while Typeform doesn’t have the capability, as pointed out, natively, you could try the following (i do something similar to this with entries into one of my forms): 

• create additional tabs in your google sheet
  • have the 2nd tab pull the data from the typeform ‘dump’ into the primary tab - on this one you can change column headers to something more intuitive for your use case (from the typeform question text)
  • as long as you have the appropriate identifiers, you can then have additional tabs with the related ‘data structure’ into which you can pull the data that you need ie into an existing row. 
    • i use this to update response data by industry when someone self-selects an industry sector in their response - ie if they select “business consulting’ then the data points they enter are added into the appropriate column of the row associated with ‘business consulting’ - this allows me to update comparatives vs industry, etc. 

This may require a little bit of thinking on how to establish the cross-tab identifiers that will allow you to relate the data elements and to establish the appropriate formulae to transform the data as required. 

cheers

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @Ben Alderson, welcome to this oh so fun community :cherry_blossom:

Just jumping in to say that you could connect your typeform to the Google Sheet with the help of Integromat. It’s a no-code platform that lets you connect online apps and services and automate all sorts of processes. 

First of all, let me share the link to

:arrow_right:Integromat’s pre-configured Typeform integration

If you follow the link, you’ll be able to check out all the available features (i.e. actions, triggers and ready-to-use templates) of the integration. 

Anyway, a scenario (that’s what we call our automations :blush: ) that could help you with your use case might look for example like this:

What does this beauty do? Glad you asked :nerd:  It:

• receives the data from the form submission
  • processes the answers one by one (that’s the ‘iterator’ bit)
  • and stores the information in a specific cell in Google Sheets

If you like what you see, you can easily sign up for a free Integromat account and start exploring the magic of automation :tophat: (the top hat emoji is the closest to ‘magic’ I could find :sweat_smile: )

Side note: I didn’t want to overwhelm you with millions of screenshots and steps here. If you’d like to know more about setting up the scenario, feel free to ask all the questions :relaxed:

Hi Michaela, @Michaela 

We can’t find any integration with Integromat?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @pepewaio Happy Monday! You’ll want to follow the link here to create an Integromat account to connect Typeform to Google Sheets in order to update a specific cell (as this isn’t possible to do in our native Google Sheets integration).