Answered

Is there a way to send a payment receipt from Stripe?

We collect payments on Typeform through Stripe. However, when payments are made, we would like customers to receive an automated email with their receipt. Is this possible to setup through Typeform given the integration with Stripe?

icon

Best answer by picsoung 7 April 2021, 00:12

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @thelanby ,

I’d like to help if I can. Quick clarifying question: the person will choose to buy something through Typeform and you want an automated email from TF to include the receipt from Stripe? 

Thank you, Vicky! Yes that’s correct. Or at least a receipt from Typeform to show they have paid that amount. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@thelanby - from another user here

I have  a tshirt order typeform that has stripe integration and i use the typeform email notification feature to send a customized email to the user. i have shown a screen shot of part of the email that i send but wanted this part to show how i put the details in on how much they were being charged through Stripe

you can find the email notification option under the gear icon shown in the image below

this is in the new builder btw.. 

des

Thank you Des! I guess this is the best option for giving customers a formal receipt for their records then?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you Des! I guess this is the best option for giving customers a formal receipt for their records then?

@thelanby - I am not certain that this is the ‘best’ option.. but it works lol.. 

There might be better ways of doing this from the Stripe side, for the official receipt from the payment processor, but since none of the entry form data, outside of the payment processing details, gets passed to Stripe and resides only within Typeform, (the same is true of the ccard details staying in stripe and never in typeform) the options for the ‘whole enchilada’ to be in the receipt seems to put it into either a notification email or in something you craft separately in a connected app

hope it moves the needle forward for you to try this.. until someone from the official Typeform team provides a better more elegant solution (i will switch then too lol)

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @thelanby 

Those are all valid solutions.
But if you are looking for something fancier, using built-in receipts from Stripe you might be interested by the solution described in this blog post I wrote couple of years ago.

The main idea is to use typeform webhook when the form is submitted and use Stripe API to find the corresponding charge. Once you’ve found it you just have to update it with an email addres, and Stripe sends automatically the receipt for you.

Hope it helps :)

Hi @picsoung 

We found your blog post and tried to implement your solution but have found that Stripe isn’t recognising the customer email to send the receipt to. The webhook seems to be doing what it should but the receipts still aren’t being sent. When we look at the event details in Stripe, the “email_receipt” is reporting as “null”. When I spoke to Stripe support, their advice was to contact Typeform to include the email info, though we do ask for this as part of the form. I appreciate this description is a bit vague but, any idea where we might have gone wrong?

Thanks

Louise

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @LouiseW101 

Few things you can investigate to troubleshoot the issue:

• are you using an email question to collect the email? if not, you should switch to an email type. Or you would have to change the code.
  • is everything sent correctly from Typeform? Go under Webhooks, make sure the webhook is ON, and look at the deliveries to see if they were sent correctly with all the right info.
  • Is it received well on your server? if you use Glitch, open the Logs panel and look for error messages, things that should tell you about the error.

From there we can probably learn more about your issue and see how to solve it :)

I’m looking to try and send or show a receipt for Payment at the end of a Typeform survey.  I am using the Stripe integration for Payments, but when you do that the auto-receipt functionality in Stripe doesn’t work (presumably because of how Typeform is integrated behind the scenes).  I’ve seen you can send an email to all respondents automatically via ‘Notifications’ in Typeform, however it is only plain text and I need something more feature rich.

My other thought was just to create a page that has an image on of a sort of ‘stock’ receipt - all sales are for the same amount.  However  can’t get it to show a dynamic ‘TODAYS DATE’ for the payment date element of the receipt.

Has anyone done anything similar, or have any ideas on how I could achieve some kind of receipt?

Thanks

Steve

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @stevedee I’ve added your post here where we have possible solutions for you. 😀