Answered

Typeform Form submission Event tracking with GA4

I have a typeform in a website.I have to track this form submissions in Google analytics we need to integrate typeform with GA.

The current Typeform integration is not possible for GA4. It's possible only in GA3 (Universal Analytics)

hence we are planning by implementing DLs to track these events in GA4, Event 1. on every submit of your typeforms Event 2. Each time your respondent answers a question.

So,It is possible to Implement data layer in GA4 to track events? If YES then how can i achieve this?

icon

Best answer by Liz 25 August 2022, 16:22

View original

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @rishi Thanks for stopping by the community! If you haven’t already seen this article, it will explain how to track events without GA4 and the possible solutions we have for this. 

Hi @Liz so,it is not possible to integrate typeform with GA4? or Implement data layer in GA4 to track events?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@rishi Currently, the Google Analytics integration in Typeform is only compatible with Universal Analytics Tracking IDs (these IDs start with UA-).It doesn’t yet support Google Analytics 4 properties or Measurement IDs (which start with G-). You can read about setting up Universal Analytics here

Userlevel 1
Badge

Will you add GA4? Universal is disappearing soon. I will have to look for other providers if you cant tell me when GA4 will be added.

This is super important for us too.

Hi @Liz We have a similar problem. We want to implement Typeform event tracking (TypeformFirstInteraction & TypeformSubmit) in GA4 through the Google Tag Manager.

1. We connected GTM to Typeform 
  2. We created two GA4 Event Tags
    1. first one with trigger event = TypeformFirstInteraction
    2. second one with trigger event = TypeformSubmit
  3. Everything looks fine when testing it in the Preview Mode of GTM. Both tags fire.
  4. However, when going into the DebugView in GA4 neither of the two events actually arrive in GA4.

Is there a solution for this problem? Or is there really no chance at all to get Typeform events in GA4, not even through GTM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @careship Could you send the link to your Typeform so we can take a look into this? Thanks!

@Liz I wrote you a DM! :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @careship ! I tested the form, and I can see the events are being passed, as shown below: 

I would definitely check in your Google Analytics account to be sure that you aren’t accidentally filtering anything that might be preventing the data from showing. 

Hi @Liz, thanks for checking. But you were looking for Universal Analytics. The problem concerns Google Analytics 4. Can you provide info on that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @careship I’m showing that the data is sending to Google Analytics, which is what we currently support. Since we don’t support GA4 at this time, you’ll want to take a look at this article here for more information on capturing that data in Google Analytics. 

This is unbelievable that your team hasn’t come up with a solution for GA4 yet. Like.. really Crazy!

I see myself asking this feature a few years back to your product team via a form that a “Tech Community Advocate“ asked me to use.

We are in the end of 2022, UA is soon to be shut off and we are still not able to track any conversion on our typeforms for GA4.

Do you know how frustrating it is? Do you know important it is to track conversions on a website ? This is like the basics of marketing now… Knowing when you convert, and where it comes from.

You are pushing to use other tools. Not cool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Alexlion It’s something they’re working on, but I don’t have a timeframe for it. Because it requires working with Google for the solution, it’s not a fast/easy fix. Of course, once we have updates, we’ll post them here. 

Hi, @Liz and everyone looking for a solution regarding Typeform Form submission Event tracking with Google Analytics 4.

As I can see,  TypeformSubmits and QuestionPassed in November count as events.

Now everyone can mark these events as conversions.
I’m happy we’re there! 

@Thanos Lappas Can you share how you configured your GA4 Tracking to get the TypeformQuestionPassed and TypeformSubmit events? Has anyone else been able to get this configured and working?

@Liz I appreciate your patience in responding to the same question a million times. I understand that Typeform does not support GA4 yet, but I’m sure you understand that UA will only work for six more months. Typeform will need to start supporting GA4 between now and then. 

Is there a place I can sign up for an update on this topic? Get notified when Typeform becomes compatible with GA4?

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @colvin Keep following this thread for any updates. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @colvin Keep following this thread for any updates. 😁

Hi @colvin 

I did nothing special.

Besides typeform and google analytics integration (https://www.typeform.com/help/a/integrate-your-typeform-with-google-analytics-360029251312/)  I did absolutely nothing 

One day GA4 started showing typeform submissions as events and I tracked them as covnersions

Keep in mind that only a subset of submissions are currently tracked by GA4

Hi @Thanos Lappas !

I’m having similiar hardships as @colvin above. Could you help by elaborating on how exactly the typeform submissions managed to show up in your GA4? Did you create a separate connection to it in Typeform? Do QuestionPasses and Submits show up as well, or only submissions? What were they named in your GA4? 

Currently I can see TypeformSuccessfulSent events in my GA4 but their number is way too low to be QuestionPasses but they are too many to be Submissions, so I am kind of lost. :/ :D 

Also a quick question to @Liz: I know that you guys are constantly asked about this, but GA4 integration is going to happen any time soon…? :) Or is what @Thanos Lappas experienced is basically that already, so it won’t require any additional connection beyond what is set up with UA (GA3) for most people already? 

Thanks in advance to the both of yoU! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@GreenFox I know it’s on the product team’s radar, though I don’t have too much information beyond that. Just know it’s something they are planning on!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@GreenFox I know it’s on the product team’s radar, though I don’t have too much information beyond that. Just know it’s something they are planning on!

Hi Liz,

If you could find out a timeframe I’d much appreciate it.  GA4 support really is essential now that universal is on the way out.  Thanks.

Graham

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’ll post any updates as I receive them here, @Graham Cox. 😀

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks @Liz 

@Liz 

Any updates yet on this issue about event tracking with GA4? Hope they are not only planning, but more working on the solution. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mackan no updates yet, but as always, I’ll post them here when I have them!