Answered

Unable to trigger Google Analytics event tracking

• 10 February 2021
  • 24 replies

Hello,

I’m trying to do exactly what is described in the article on Google Analytics; namely, 1. link my Google Analytics account, 2. track events reporting in Google Analytics, 3. analyze results in Google Analytics.

I’m confident I am linking my account correctly, since I can see what I assume are embed in on my site’s Google Analytics metrics.

From there, though, I don’t see events or the site content described in the article. As far as I can tell, there shouldn’t be any further action needed to enable these events and site content.

What am I missing? Does this functionality still work?

many thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Liz 10 February 2021, 16:43

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @fred Thanks for stopping by. This feature does still work. :) 

When setting up the integration, it’s important to note that the data doesn’t backfill. So, if you have already collected responses on the form before integrating, those responses won’t appear in Google Analytics but anything after setting up the integration will. 

If you’ve collected data after setting up the integration, you can find all the typeform submissions in Google Analytics in the Behavior > Events > Top events report.

If you can’t find it under this location, you’ll want to be sure you have any date filters turned off, as this is a common issue when searching for the Typeform data. 

I hope this helps!

Hi @Liz,

I take advantage of Fred's message to ask you how to configure GA so that each typeform send counts for 1 conversion (not an event, that, it does record an event each time, it’s work for us)

Thanks in advance :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @VisiInt ! Our integration will send events to Google Analytics, but if you’d like to setup conversions, I’d take a peek at their article here for step by step instructions on how to set conversions (in Google Ads) and here for more info on setting goals in Google Analytics. How to set them varies for each person because it depends on what you’re considering a conversion. There might be some others in the community that have best practices they’ve utilized for setting up their conversions/goals! (possibly @john.desborough !)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @VisiInt  - I cannot be much help on this as of yet.. the integration with Google Analytics is on the roadmap for next month at this end. I will come back to provide thoughts once actions produce some results.. 

I am currently, mostly, working on conversions the same way that I deal with coffee on Monday mornings: 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough 

Thanks @Liz & @john.desborough  !

Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can’t find the events.

I just triple-confirmed that I got the right analytics key, and gave Google Analytics time to process all events (in case there’s a lag). I also double-checked the time per your advice. I’m still unable to see any events.

I checked the network traffic on the debug console, and I don’t see calls to Google Analytics being made - is that expected? Additionally, are there Google Analytics settings that I should be checking?

I’m happy to share my form ID if helpful. I’m happy to help in any way figure out what issues might exist (or what I’m missing).

Thanks again @Liz & @john.desborough !

Ahahaha @john.desborough @Liz .
Thanks for your answers !

I have a lead to set up conversion tracking, I will have to try it. (I only use Typeform since yesterday haha).

To put it simply, since Google Analytics sees an event and not a conversion, a workaround would be to have a receiver typeform on another URL using the redirect on completion (in case we need to pass informations, otherwise , a simple "thank you" page is enough). With that, we just have to create a trigger and a tag in Google Tag Manager which simply says : page view = conversion (or the page view is the page where the receiver typeform is located).

Well, I don't know if it's clear xD, plus I use Google Translate because my English is not good enough for that haha.

Thank you again anyway for your feedback!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@VisiInt No worries at all! :) That setup would work! And if you aren’t directing the respondent to another form, you could even setup a separate thank you page on your site only to track submissions from the Typeform. This is a pretty common setup for people tracking conversions whether in Typeform or on a different form, and having a separate thank you page per form makes it slightly easier to track which form is converting. You would just need to setup this feature on your form to redirect to the page on your site!

Thanks both!

I've done what your describe already. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite meet our needs, as we need to track/understand user progression on the form (thus the need for events).

Considering that I don't see a Google analytics call in the debug console, I'm suspecting a bug. We do critically need event tracking according to my leadership.

Can you confirm whether 1. event (not just conversion) tracking works on all embed setups, 2. no step in addition to the article are needed (on Typeform or Google Analytics), 3. not seeing Google Analytics tags being fired on the debug console is expected?

If anyone from the Typeform team could look at my form and confirm that the Google analytics integration works properly on my form, that would be great.

Thanks so much again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@fred Could you share the link to the form? We can take a look here to be certain the events are firing. If you could also send a screenshot or video of how you’re searching for the events in your account, that would be handy!

Hi @Liz - here is the link.

I do notice something:

• on a direct link (the one that I sent you), I can see google analytics tracking calls (2nd entry from the bottom):

• in my embedded version, however, that doesn’t happen (note that the my own site makes analytics calls of its own - these are not from Typeform):

I’ll need to give google analytics time to process the events, but my guess is that somehow direct links work fine with tracking, but that doesn’t hold for embed.

In case it matters (and it may not), another thing that I notice when I use embed, I see this, which doesn’t happen in a direct link:

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @fred - when the form is embedded, it sends the data twice, which may be slightly confusing. I looked at your direct form, and I can see that the events are sending as shown below, so there may be some filters that need to be removed to find the data. Once our GA creates their account here, I’ll tag them to help further in case they have any suggestions!

Thanks @Liz . I’m adding an update below in case it helps with your investigation.

I see the below on Google Analytics (yay!):

I was careful to progress on both types of form (embed and direct link), but only see 1 come through.

I see the below in the event details. Based on the Page field, I suspect this one comes from the direct form since the url matches (I’m not certain, since I don’t know what it would be like for the embed):

My leading hypothesis is that the embed form version somehow doesn’t work (maybe because it doesn’t fire? Your screenshot looks like the one for the direct form link).

I’m happy to DM you the page with embeds if it helps you debug.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @fred Our tech team may need to take a closer look at this to see why it wouldn’t be working on the embedded form. Would you mind contacting them from your account email here? Once you do, let me know, and I can give them a nudge! They’ll be able to take a look at the code directly and file any bugs if necessary. :) 

Thank you @Liz . I’ve just submitted. Please feel free to nudge :)

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks @fred ! I’ve given them a little nudge. They may not respond until Monday since it’s routed to a specific team that knows the integration well (which should be much faster) to look into it, but I’ve shared this thread with them for context. :) 

@john.desborough :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: Same here!

I just can’t connect Typeform to any Google products, actually. I have quite a few accounts, all linked to Google Ads, Analytics and more but not Typeform. Is the a way anyone can answer these same questions, but with a step-by-step? It is impossible to replicate all of the things because it it always like: “Do this, and then do that.” Ok. But “doing this” implies like 4 more steps that it seems to be a secret.

For exemple: 

Why cannot people just literally say what we should put here? It is always like: “Create an event in your Google Analytics account”. Ok, but... HOW? This above was just an example. The person who started this question still (I think) doesn’t know how to configure Gclid. Me neither.

I am more than happy to contribute and help around here, is there anyone that knows what to do, step-by-step, so we can configure Typeform + Google? Specially Google Ads Conversions. I would pay for that.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Motion Studio I’ve replied to you in the post below. :) 

Badge

hi @fred Could you please confirm if you got any solution for this issue? as I am also facing the same.

@Liz Ananlytics is working fine for me too when using directly on form URL. But when I embed the form on my site, it is not working as event is not getting fired for form. I have created and connect GTM for this. But it is also not working for embedded form on website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @FW2021 would you mind sharing the URL where you have the form embedded? It’s possible you just need to adjust the code slightly to pickup hidden fields, but I can verify this once I see the form on the embedded page. Thanks!

Badge

@Liz it can be checked here “https://www.futurewood.com.au/22477-2/

Also, please confirm is there is any way to apply class or ids on the iframe which the form code places on the website and the elements which are used in the form?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @FW2021 ah, I see - thank you! It looks like it’s missing an extra parameter to pass hidden fields in the embedded form. You’ll first want to be sure that you have the hidden fields added to your form, and then the steps here will walk you through how to add those parameters to the embed code. 

As for adding classes and IDs, you can certainly adjust the embed code as you would like, but the only downside to this is that we aren’t able to troubleshoot issues with custom code. :( One suggestion I’d make, too, would be to use our Embed SDK, which would allow a bit more customization if you’re familiar with front-end development!

Badge

@Liz Thanks for this advice. I will work on this and will update you if it works out. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Of course! Let me know if you run into any troubles setting this up, @FW2021 or have any other questions at all.