Ideas for a grade 9 teacher

• 10 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi, I just joined but I am not sure where to start. I teach grade 9 English, social studies and Career Development in Canada. I am always looking for new and innovative ways to engage students so I thought I would check this out. I would love to hear from teachers who are using VideoAsk in their classrooms. 

Thank you!

Danielle

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Danielle Savage, thanks for writing in!

As a former 9th grader (😉), my favorite teachers were the innovators, so I know your efforts to apply new tech in the classroom will be appreciated.

Here are some ideas and use cases for you:

• Feedback: Empower your students to provide text, audio, and/or video feedback on lessons, assignments, or even you as a teacher.
  • Mock Interviews: Since career development is part of what you do, VideoAsk is the perfect tool for staging an asynchronous mock interview. Students can answer prompts on camera, then you can review them later and provide actionable feedback.
  • Quizzes / Assessments: Let’s face it, most students dread the traditional essay assignment or multiple-choice test. Instead, imagine using VideoAsk to still gauge students’ comprehension of course material while also letting them express their knowledge in a more engaging and interactive way.

I hope this helps! Let me know what questions you have 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Danielle Savage welcome to the community! I’m also going to tag @SynthGoblin here who is a former teacher and might have some ideas for you! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all

I’m going to outline an idea for an entirely interactive lesson using VA… so pick and choose any of these ideas at your leisure!

• Learning: you could record videos explaining information or demonstrating things to students, then you could use logic to set the VA up so that students could choose parts of the lesson to watch at their own pace and in their chosen order (or an order you set, of course). If they get stuck, they could always go back and re-cover the bits they needed to.
  • Assessment: VideoAsk can be used to set multiple choice questions where each answer students pick has an outcome. Think about it… you could set a multiple-choice quiz after each section of your lesson then set the VA to automatically send students back to the learning section if they get things wrong and allow them to progress if they answer correctly.
  • Longer-form answers: you could set larger questions and have students reply either via text, audio or video, making the assessment much more conversational.
  • Collecting responses for class-wide discussion: why not set small questions and then use the information/data to engage in a class-wide discussion? I can see that working really well for polls and opinion based topics in Social Studies. Pick a contentious issue, poll or interview your students on it then compare it to the real nationwide data… just one idea!
  • Feedback: if students are submitting responses, you could give tailored replies to them if you wanted… ask them to go back and review certain bits of learning, ask challenging follow-up questions to differentiate for the more able, or give corrections yourself and explain why students might be making mistakes… the possibilities here are endless.

Those are just a few ideas that feel like they would fit any lesson no matter what the nation or age of the student 

Much of this would take a bit of prep and would be very new and experimental for both you and the students so it might take some getting used to. But I often found the best lessons have to involve taking some risks rather than just playing it safe all the time. It could end up being really rewarding for all involved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Danielle Savage hopefully some of these ideas are helpful, let us know how you get on with using VideoAsk in the classroom, we’d love to hear your experience 😊