Using VideoAsk in the classroom

• 8 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I am curious if there are any teachers out there using VideoAsk in the classroom or in online learning?

7 replies

Badge +5

This sounds like a really interesting VideoAsk use case. I'll tag @Grace and @Maya in case they have some relevant  inspiration to share with you. 

By the way, warm welcome to the community. Thanks for posting! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Paraluman Stice-Durkin welcome to the community! :grin:

Are you already using VideoAsk for education and online learning? Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback if so!

There are definitely people out there using it for eduction, we’ve seen people use it as a follow up tool for additional learning/homework - it’s a good way to engage students and ask them to complete tasks because you can create a videoask with different questions and get them to respond using the open-ended answer type and reply back with video, audio or text.

You can also schedule a close date on a videoask, so you can share the videoask and then students have a set time to respond - this is handy if you are setting them a task to do between classes and you need to review their work before the next lesson. 

We also offer discounts for Educators :blush:

Let me know if you have more questions about possible ways to use videoask and hopefully we’ll see a few more members popping up here that are already using it in the classroom or for online education that can share their findings :pray:

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Paraluman Stice-Durkin,

I might be able to help here! I work for Typeform and love using VideoAsk, but before this career change, I was a teacher!

So while I don’t have experience using VA in a classroom environment, I know the service pretty well and also have 8 years of classroom experience.

Ask me anything!

Userlevel 1

Thank you Synth.  I’ve tried VA where students do reflections on their work or comments on how it went in class, kind of like an exit ticket.  I find that this format is much more teen-friendly than using their laptops, as they can do this on the run.  I was just seeing if there are any ways that kids can perhaps communicate with each other or see VA threads in like  group style.  I know I can add users, and I have added 5 teachers already.  We are all teaching in an ASYNCHRONOUS pilot courses so trying to use VA to build community.  What do you think??

Userlevel 1

Hey @Paraluman Stice-Durkin welcome to the community! :grin:

You can also schedule a close date on a videoask, so you can share the videoask and then students have a set time to respond - this is handy if you are setting them a task to do between classes and you need to review their work before the next lesson. 

Thank you Grace.  And being on their phones they can accomplish this on the run.

I love the idea of creating a discussion around replies, so kids can see each other’s replies.  I’ll have to try that.  Right now it’s more of a two way street communication between me and student.  Would love for them to see more of each other’s comments.  Is this possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @Paraluman Stice-Durkin welcome to the community! :grin:

Thank you Grace.  And being on their phones they can accomplish this on the run.

I love the idea of creating a discussion around replies, so kids can see each other’s replies.  I’ll have to try that.  Right now it’s more of a two way street communication between me and student.  Would love for them to see more of each other’s comments.  Is this possible?

Hey @Paraluman Stice-Durkin 

Love that you’re testing asynchronous teaching and that VideoAsk is playing a part in the pilot. I would say VideoAsk is more of a one on one conversation rather than one to many, but perhaps an option could be embedding the inbox of your videoask on a landing page that all students have access to and can click through and see each others responses? 
They wouldn’t be able to reply to each other, because VideoAsk doesn’t have a group text functionality in the same way something like Whatsapp has, but it could be an option for sharing results with the whole class. Here’s a help center article on how to set that up, let me know if you have any other thoughts here :blush:

Userlevel 3
Badge

From a technical perspective, Grace seems to have this one covered. I have to say though, using VideoAsk in this context is a stroke of genius. I’m not sure how your students feel about starting a videoask themselves, but if your focus is more peer interaction, would it be possible to create a culture where students are paired or grouped in some way (be it randomly or with some form of differentiation) so they could create dynamic feedback for each other?

For quality control’s sake you could then select some of your pairs/groups at random and see the kind of conversations they’re having with each other. Might not be exactly what you’re after but it’s an idea!