Answered

Another question about sections and multiple text endings

• 26 September 2023
  • 15 replies

Badge

Good evening.  I’ve researched quite a bit on typeform and youtube and feel hopeless right now.  :( 

• We are working on a health assessment with 2 sections.
  • There are 5 questions per section, Nutrition/Exercise for a total of 10 questions.
  • Answers are in format of  “Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, and Strongly Disagree”
  • Would need to recommend health responses based on answers from each individual section.

We have tried our best to follow various videos and feedback on how to do the recalls, variables and logic, which seemingly would solve this -  but it’s is not that easy to follow and we aren’t really that technical.  Is there a simplier way for users to be able to give different outcome endings for section surveys?  

icon

Best answer by Jsanchez204 28 September 2023, 05:03

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi @mwx 

I wonder if you could use this help article where it’s using different variables per section? https://www.typeform.com/help/a/build-a-quiz-with-multiple-scores-4410816726804/

@john.desborough I wonder if you have any tips here?

Thanks

Joyce

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mwx Happy Tuesday! I hope you’re having a great week so far! Have you tried using our personality quiz for this? I think this would be pretty easy to input there!

Badge

Thank you so much for getting back to us!  Unfortunately, we’ve exhausted ourselves yesterday trying to get a good working sample. We were hoping to do this without the need for any backend variables, recalls or backend. It’s intensive to setup for just two sections.  I can’t imagine having to do this for longer quizzes like a 4 or 5 question survey. No bueno.  

It does appear though that if we were able to just add an option on the outcome ending page that allows us to simply go back to the quiz and start the next set of questions, that would be golden. 

Using variables, recalls and backend dev is just too complex and not designed for people like me I think :(   

We’re getting used to Outgrow.com this morning and appears easier and designed to allow multiple outcomes.  After using Typeform, the learning curve is a bit different and doesn’t look as good as Typeform imo. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mwx Ahhh, are your outcomes two sections versus just a set of questions? (hopefully that makes sense!)

Badge

Yes two sections. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@mwx - one thought - in each section,you could create put each sectino in a question group and then have a series of ‘statement pages’ to which you could direct your users based on the scores/inputs you evaluate … ie if you scored the responses based on points allocated 1-5 for each of the answer choices you could do somtething like this:

• if section1 score is less than 6 go to statement page 1
  • if section 1 score is greater than or equal to 6 and section 1 score is less than 11 go to statement page 2
  • etc

that would give you an ‘outcome page’ in the quiz flow. 

at the end of the overall quiz, having presented two section results to the user. 

if you also have an overall score, you can now show them an ‘overall score” statement page before they submit their responses. 

alternatively you can do this with various endings in a similar scoring/routing method

des

Badge

Thank you.  So following this,

• We duplicated the quiz and changed it to Score based quiz
  • Created a 10 question quiz using 5 answers (Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral… ) 
  • Assigned point value to each answer with -2 being ‘strongly disagree’ up to +2 for ‘strongly agree’
  • Created a series of statement pages

Stuck

When going in to write the logic rules, do we put the logic on the statement tab or do we put it on each individual question?  

We really appreciate the help here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

on the ‘last question’ before routing to the statement page(s)… @mwx - so if you had something like this:

• q1 → q2→ ….q10 branch to one of s1.s2,s3….
    • your logic should be on q10 
      • if v_score lt 3 go to s1
      • if v_score gt 3….go to s2… 
      • etc

does that make sense??

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @mwx,  It would help if I had a little context. Are you trying to build a form with a different statement/output-answer for each question, like the one below? If so, are you trying to build a final page combining those statements into a response? Please let me know if it's something similar to this. 

Question 1 (Person selects Strongly agree for Q1)

• (strongly agree) -----[output answer]-----→ “We recommend you introduce more fiber
  • agree 
  • neutral
  • disagree
  • strongly disagree ------[output answer]------→ “We recommend you reduce your fiber intake”

Question 2 (Person selects disagree for Q2)

• strongly agree 
  • agree  ------[output answer]------→ “We recommend you eat more acidic food”
  • neutral
  • (disagree)  ------[output answer]------→ “Stay away from acidic foods
  • strongly disagree 

Final nutrition section response: ( when the person finishing filling out the nutrition section it will show a statement with all the output answers in a paragraph similar to this) 

Hi Jane, based on your responses from our nutrition questionnaire We recommend you introduce more fiber to your diet. We also recommend you Stay away from acidic foods. ……

Badge

Hi Jsanchez204,

This is ultimately exactly where we’d like to go with this.  Is this possible?  We’re still working on the logic portion now from the previous suggestions.  Thank you so much! 

Badge

This is what cleared a lot of up for us!  Thanks!  Knowing exactly where to add the logic really cleared some things up!  We are doing some tests this morning and will let you know how it goes!  

on the ‘last question’ before routing to the statement page(s)… @mwx - so if you had something like this:

• q1 → q2→ ….q10 branch to one of s1.s2,s3….
    • your logic should be on q10 
      • if v_score lt 3 go to s1
      • if v_score gt 3….go to s2… 
      • etc

does that make sense??

des

Badge

Hi Jsanchez!  Yes..  ultimately we’d like to combine those statements into a response for a final master statement or outcome. We imagine this would be done through logic as well? 

Hi @mwx,  It would help if I had a little context. Are you trying to build a form with a different statement/output-answer for each question, like the one below? If so, are you trying to build a final page combining those statements into a response? Please let me know if it's something similar to this. 

Question 1 (Person selects Strongly agree for Q1)

• (strongly agree) -----[output answer]-----→ “We recommend you introduce more fiber
  • agree 
  • neutral
  • disagree
  • strongly disagree ------[output answer]------→ “We recommend you reduce your fiber intake”

Question 2 (Person selects disagree for Q2)

• strongly agree 
  • agree  ------[output answer]------→ “We recommend you eat more acidic food”
  • neutral
  • (disagree)  ------[output answer]------→ “Stay away from acidic foods
  • strongly disagree 

Final nutrition section response: ( when the person finishing filling out the nutrition section it will show a statement with all the output answers in a paragraph similar to this) 

Hi Jane, based on your responses from our nutrition questionnaire We recommend you introduce more fiber to your diet. We also recommend you Stay away from acidic foods. ……

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@mwx - if you create a variable (or two, three .. however many that you nee) as TEXT type variables, then you can use logic like this to put in the text string appropriate to the response

• if qX is A then replace v_text1 with “We recommend…..”
  • if qX is B then replace v_text1 with “We think you should stay away….”

then use the @recall function to display the the variable text in your ending or on any page where you want to put it .. 

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

hi @mwx - here is are some screenshot on how to do @john.desborough suggestion. Hope this helps let me know if you got your form up and running :)

I only have two questions and one section in this example but you can add the five questions to yours. we are going to need to go to the variables button so click on logic and then personalize with data and lastly click variables.

now we should get this popup screen where we can add variables. I choose to name my variables q1 for question 1. I included a table with the variables below. you can leave ‘enter the starting value’ field blank. and once you add all your variables click save.

Question variable
Question 1 q1
question 2 q2
question 3 q3
question 4 q4
question 5

q5

now we can go to our questions logic. Click on question 1 and then click add rule. you can ignore the always option.

when you click on Add rule 

now we can assign q1 with the response we want to show if the person clicks on A for question 1. Now we can do the same but give answer B a different response. we assigned it to q1 still because q1 will be changed to the statement you assigned if they click disagree.

once you are done changing the responses for each answer you can go ahead and click save. you will need to follow the same steps for question 2 but will just need to change the variable to q2.

now we can add our variables to our statement using Recall. you can use this by typing the @ symbol while typing and the variables should pop-up.

Hope this helps. I have attached the example below of someone filling out the form.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks so much for this, @john.desborough and @Jsanchez204 ! Let us know if you have any trouble setting this up, @mwx