Answered

How to fix Typeform overwriting Ads UTM parameters in GA

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, 

I am having a tracking issue. I use UTM to track FB Ads, I also have an embedded typeform quiz in my website. I see my users per FB campaign in GA, however , as soon as they go through the step of filling out the quiz, google overwrites the source of where these leads came from. They all came from FB Ads, but now Google shows all leads coming from Typeform/ Referral and basically eliminates all my tracking in GA. I really do not want to change the whole structure and remove the typeform quiz, JUST so I am able to have a tracking in GA. Is there any way to fix it. I need GA to continue tracking the leads/ATC and Purchases based on FB UTMs and campaigns. 

I do not have any UTM-s set up in the typeform quiz. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you 

Zara

icon

Best answer by Liz 22 April 2022, 15:55

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @zarasurmeni Thanks for stopping by the community! If you have the form embedded on your website, this is expected behavior. You can read more about this here

I would suggest setting up the UTM parameters in Typeform so you can pass the information from the ad into the form, and thus, back to Google. You can read more about setting up UTM parameters here

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Liz.

There is a jumper page between the ad and the embedded typeform. I am guessing setting up the UTM in typeform will not help in that case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@zarasurmeni Oh yes, I think it would actually be better then. This is because you can pass the UTM info from the jumper page (depending on how you have it built) into the form so the UTMs are tracking correctly. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Liz, the jumper page is on Clickfunnels, so I have not really built it. I just checked and I am still seeing conversions coming from typeform instead of the AD. Is there by any chance an article on this I can read?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @zarasurmeni As noted above, this is expected behavior if you have the Typeform embedded on your website and you’re not passing in any UTM variables. This article here can walk you through how to add UTM variables on your form. 

As for passing the variables from ClickFunnels, you may want to reach out to their support team to see if they have any tricks for sending the data out of the landing page. 😀

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Liz, one last question. In the article that you sent, which is THE ONLY thing that i have been able to find on this subject, it says:

“Paste the link where you plan on using it and replace the XXXXX strings with the values you want to use.

If you're embedding your typeform, you'll be able to specify UTM values before generating your embed code.”

How am i expected to replace the XXXXX with values manually, as they are dynamic and come from facebook in the url?

Another question, if i embed this as a popup, will i avoid this issue altogether?

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @zarasurmeni If Facebook is already inputting the variables, you can leave the x’s blank, and it should properly pass the information through. Definitely test it to be sure it’s set up correctly!

Whether you embed it directly onto the page or as a popup, both are considered embed modes and will have the same outcome. You will still need to use the above method to pass the UTM information through all of the pages you have the respondent passing through (the ad, then the landing page, into the form).

Userlevel 1
Badge

Awesome, I will remove the XXXX and leave it blank and test it. Thanks

When you say leave blank, how does that exactly look like. 

Is this correct?

data-tf-hidden="utm_source= , utm_medium= , utm_campaign=,  utm_term= , utm_content=" 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@zarasurmeni You don’t need any spacing between the = and the , so as long as you remove the space, you should be good to go!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Awesome, thank you. Let me test this. Fingers crossed ahha