What are some best practices for keeping user engagement?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

It seems like a tightrope balance, but Im curious to hear what everyone’s tips, tricks, best practices, or even just ideas they have behind user retention (just in the context of completing/submitting a TypeForm). Is it important to word information gathering questions correctly? What are some things a new user like me should be aware of? Thanks!

4 replies

Badge +5

This is a great question, @ActionJackson . 

My great colleague @James always has really insights to share when it comes to Typeform best practices. Once he's back online he'll sure offer his wisdom in your thread. 

We do have a series of webinars that can help with your questions... Feel free to grab some popcorn! 

@john.desborough also has a bunch of tricks that may help enrich this discussion. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ActionJackson - not only the series of webinars that @Gabriel pointed to, but there are a whole series of bits around the Typeform properties that can help. 

The next ‘Lead Gen’ webinar will feature Elizabeth Stokoe who has some wonderful ideas about conversations and engagement. This video below is a good one. 

and this blog post here: https://www.typeform.com/blog/inspiration/tool-write-survey-questions/

is also worth reading. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Awesome, thank you so much @Gabriel and @john.desborough ! John I’ve already seen you around the TypeForm community everywhere answering questions, providing solutions, and solving problems, I’ll definitely be following ya!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Howdy @ActionJackson Good to see you here! 

In terms of general tips for writing typeforms, this is a good set of principles (taken from here):

1. Begin with a question
  2. Give an incentive and encourage action
  3. Speak naturally and know your audience 
  4. Make use of the Description box to clarify questions
  5. Make it personalized and contextual, using Logic/Hidden Fields - like a conversation
  6. Be concise and show progress
  7. Customize the Submit button

What are you planning to use Typeform for, out of interest? As the other chaps have mentioned, our “Lead Generation Essentials” webinar series does cover off a lot of the best practices specific to lead gen. You can already sign up for the next one here: 

This webinar will touch some of the things mentioned in the list above, as well as looking at empirical research done by Typeform into what makes for high lead capture form completion​​​. You’ll also get to see the man himself @john.desborough talk about how to use lead gen quizzes to capture leads and engage audiences. Worth signing up for that alone!