Answered

Automate calculations of average of all assessment respones

• 23 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, we want to automate the computation of averages for all responses. Our question choices have different “strengths” (i.e., All=100%, some=50%, few=0%), and we can’t get the average from the Typeform summary because it only provides a percentage of how many people out of all responses have selected one of the choices.

Currently, we are doing manual computations in Excel, but this method is not efficient when we have to compute averages for 100+ orgs in the future.

What is the best way to automate this process? Should we use Excel, Microsoft BI, or some other tool? Thank you in advance for your suggestions and assistance.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 27 February 2024, 20:28

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough might have some suggestions for you!

Userlevel 1

Noted @Liz. Appreciate any suggestions you may have @john.desborough. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Irica - are you looking to do this for each response? or across the entire population of responses?

(sorry for the delay but sometimes the real job gets in the way lol)

des

Userlevel 1

I understand @john.desborough.  I think for the entire population of responses. For example, for one team there are 5 responses

I am interested as well @john.desborough. We’re considering other tools because we can’t figure out how to do this within Typeform. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Irica - i would suggest using Google Sheets connected to your typeform to capture the output and do your analysis there

• create a reporting tab and pull in the data you want from the main tab using arrayformula() function
  • create the necessary ‘calculations’ for calculating the value you want and embed that in the header row using the arrayformula() function to wrap around the calculation
    • this will automatically cascade the value down the column each time a row of data is added
  • you can set up a filter on the column(s) that you want to use to filter the data - ie company id or something like that. or set up a tab where you manually enter in the company id in column A and use lookups to go through the data and calculate the data from another tab … 

just a few thoughts 

if you want to calculate averages, you can use logic rules to assign ‘points’ to variables - including subtotals for different categories in your form - and then divide the subtotal variable by X where you put in the value in the logic rule 

there are a few funky things about how typeform calculates values - if you want a percent, you need to divide by whatever value and then multiply by 100 ie 6 divided by 10 x 100 gives you 60%; typeform only goes to two decimal places in calculations, etc. 

des

Userlevel 1

thank you for the suggestions @john.desborough