Answered

Bug downloading to Excel and CVS

Hi - when I download data to excel or CSV file, instead of the questions across the top it randomly populates it with answers. What am I doing wrong??

icon

Best answer by Liz 19 October 2022, 17:29

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @HyperJar Could you send a screenshot of the issue? Thanks!

Hi @HyperJar Could you send a screenshot of the issue? Thanks!

Hi Liz - here you go - you’ll see our 1st question in column B, as I would expect (this is a single answer Q); then instead of the question at the top there are answers spread across columns C-J. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @HyperJar Ah, got it! This is because the question is a multiple selection question. When you allow for more than one response to the multiple choice question, it will display as you are seeing it. 

Hi @Liz, I am experiencing the same problem for my multiple choice questions. Is there anyway to prevent this? It is almost impossible to sort the data when the multiple choice answer options are populating in the column headers

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tcase I’m afraid not, as this is expected behavior of our integration, but I can pass along the feedback to our product team. 

@Liz , thank you. Do you know the use case for the expected behavior where the multiple choice options show in the question column? I’d like to be able to interpret the data and if there is a use case for this I can adjust the process. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tcase I’m not quite sure I understand - do you mind sharing a bit more about what you’re looking to do? 

@Liz to rephrase, I’d like to be able to filter the data and also create some pivot tables. I am finding it difficult with the multiple choice options in the column header. Since this is expected behavior, is there a way to work with the data in the expected format that I am not seeing? Or will I need to manually remove the multiple choice options from the column headers to filter and pivot correctly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tcase Oh! got it - thank you. With the native integration, we don’t have formatting options so you would need to manually remove them. 

@john.desborough have you ever encountered this and/or come up with a solution for it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @tcase - i always recommend Connect-iing forms to the spreadsheet of choice Google Sheets or Excel   rather than downloading the data 

here’s a simple form that is a one question quiz:

when you connect it to a google sheet you get the question across the top and all the multiple selections in one column under the question. if you want to parse the choices out into separate columns use the split() function in google sheets

when you look at the results in a downloaded excel file, you are correct that you don’t get the question just the ‘choice option’ as the column headers. When i have done this in the past, i simply edit the downloaded file and add a row above with the question in a merged cell over top of the options. not perfect but it gets me the question text in there

i honestly prefer the connect route to the spreadsheet for the data. 

des