Question

Capturing Longitude / Latitude information

• 30 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi all! 

I’m trying to better understand how the geo information (longitude and latitude) provided by Typeform is being captured, when it’s available and when it isn’t, and how reliable it’s to determine the responder’s location. I couldn’t find any help article on this topic, so figured I will ask the community. 

Any response will be highly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @alonshvo Welcome to the community! I’m not aware of us capturing the latitude/longitude of respondents. Do you mind sending a screenshot with what you’re referencing? Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @alonshvo! Hope you're having a good day! 

Can you give us more details on what you're trying to find? As my friend @Liz mentioned, I'm not aware of us providing the latitude/longitude of the respondents. 

Cheers! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Liz @Gabi Amaral :

How would I go about capturing geolocation?

1. lat/lon
  2. city, region, country
  3. postal code
  4. anything???
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @TMo This isn’t a feature we offer in our forms, but happy to share this feedback with the product team. In the meantime, you could use short/long text questions to gather this information from your respondents.

This is another vote for such capabilities. I’m currently hacking this data together by using JS to get the geolocation data via the browser & then passing it into the TF via hidden variables then consuming it on the backend via the webhook transmission. It’s wonky but seems to work. Would be nice to simply toggle a switch in the settings menu to “gather geolocation data” & have it harvested by TF.

The other annoying thing that occurs with my approach is that using JS get geolocation data tends to take a few seconds so I have to explicitly reload (or delay) the TF iframe after it’s already loaded in order to pass it in via hidden variables.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@9rc , I capture this geo location data using an approach similar to what @mathio suggested elsewhere (but it is IP based, so not the best):

@TMo Yep … I started with that approach since it was much easier but the geolocation data based on the request IP itself generally isn’t that great. I was looking for better information so I’m moving forward with my hacked together approach ATM. But, I’m open to other ideas / recommendations if anyone has them!

Thanks ~ J

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

This sounds like a feature that would be great to have. 
I have many use cases for this. 

Please count this as a hands up for the feature geolocation data. :)