Answered

Creating more detailed quiz results / reports

Hello,

I’m using Typeform for a game addiction quiz. Currently our Typeform only gathers a total score and then sends people further based on the total score.

However I would like to send people to more detailed results, ideally where they can compare their results for each of the 9 questions with the average (which we already have).

How it works now is like this:

Choice at start:

• Gamer
  • Non-gamer (parent, partner,...)

Quiz: 9 questions:

• Rate 1-5 for each question.
  • If they rate 3 or more for a question, total score is increased +1

Outcome: 4 different possibilities based on

• Whether they chose gamer / non gamer at start. 
  • If score is 5 and higher or less than 5

Up until now this was good enough, but I’d like to update this quiz so we can provide more accurate and detailed responses. Especially letting people compare their results for each question with the average. We have enough data to create the averages, so we don’t need to recalculate those here.

I made this quiz about a year ago, I’m not sure if any of the recent updates the past year would allow more detailed scores than just the total score being sent onward. 

Perhaps sending an email with “respondent notifications” with the detailed results could be an alternative, but gives little room for customization / layout.

I’ve seen someone else mention using Google Sheets and Document Studio perhaps to make reports, not sure if this would work here in an automated way. Ideally we would also get these parameters on the forwarded webpage where we can use them side-by-side with the averages.

To clarify, an ideal situation would be this:

• People are sent to a webpage on our site where they see EACH of their 9 scores
  • Alternatively: people receive an emailed report with each of their scores.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas on how we could make this work.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 23 April 2021, 13:37

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Matthias - welcome to the community from a fellow user

I use Google sheets, docs and slides along with an add-in for Google Sheets called Document Studio to transform the data, merge it into a doc/slide template and create customized report that gets sent back to users. 

I have over 1200 data records from across 20+ industry records and as a user selects their industry sector in the survey i pull in the comparatives from that industry sector along with the whole population results for comparison perspectives. 

yes it works - the data is set up to go from the typeform to the sheet, and the add-in pulls assembles the report and send it out - i have it cycling on the hourly basis to do this. 

I also have set up the Google Sheets to take the new data for an industry, add it into the industry response section and update the industry averages in the background. 

as for putting the data onto your web page, you should be able to extract the data from the google sheet repository and display it in your web pages easily - that is not related to typeform capabilities so i won’t go further on that topic. 

try this link for a live survey that will give you a report at the end of the chain if you provide your email. 

des

Hi @john.desborough, thanks for the reply.

That report looks really thorough and well presented. I’ll check out the possibilities with Google add-ins and try coupling it with the website.

Thanks,

Matthias.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Matthias - good luck. happy to help out with any questions you might have.. have a great week

Userlevel 1

@Matthias - welcome to the community from a fellow user

I use Google sheets, docs and slides along with an add-in for Google Sheets called Document Studio to transform the data, merge it into a doc/slide template and create customized report that gets sent back to users. 

I have over 1200 data records from across 20+ industry records and as a user selects their industry sector in the survey i pull in the comparatives from that industry sector along with the whole population results for comparison perspectives. 

yes it works - the data is set up to go from the typeform to the sheet, and the add-in pulls assembles the report and send it out - i have it cycling on the hourly basis to do this. 

I also have set up the Google Sheets to take the new data for an industry, add it into the industry response section and update the industry averages in the background. 

as for putting the data onto your web page, you should be able to extract the data from the google sheet repository and display it in your web pages easily - that is not related to typeform capabilities so i won’t go further on that topic. 

try this link for a live survey that will give you a report at the end of the chain if you provide your email. 

des

Hi John,

My name is Anna. I am an apprentice for Avenir Leadership, and I am working on a lead generator form. I am in the final stages of e-mailing out the report that fits with the surveyor's responses. I tried out your link, and I was amazed by how a PDF is sent out after completing your Typeform. I wondered if you may be able to provide the steps to automate the e-mail after someone fills out the Typeform. I would appreciate that a lot.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@leadership tagging @john.desborough so he can see your comment. :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@leadership @Liz 

thanks for the poke, Liz, and the props, Anna.  

Funny that you mention the steps today, after I spent last night modifying a presentation/workshop that I gave at the Typeform Meaning Conversations event last month. Given that I had used a live typeform and accessed my live backend systems, I had to change the presentation around a bit for downstream publishing - i created a series of pdf files that outlined some of the features I was demonstrating. 

one of them happened to be a pdf that walked through the process of how i connected the typeform to Google Sheets and then merged the data into a template, created the pdf and mailed it out using Document Studio, an add-on for Google Sheets. 

here’s a link to that PDF .. keep in mind it is dealing with a specific use case but all the steps are in there..

@Liz - for your reference: in the Workstation Invaders post by James, the full typeform presentation is there as a link in the resources and this pdf can be found in “step 9” 

cheers

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah perfect! Thanks @john.desborough - Just finished watching the presentation - it was great! :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Ah perfect! Thanks @john.desborough - Just finished watching the presentation - it was great! :smiley:

thanks for the kind words @Liz 

Hi @john.desborough! I’m trying to help a friend who is building a “personality test” of sorts. This is what she’s looking for:

• the form would have 28 questions
  • each question has the same 4 response choices: definitely false, somewhat false, somewhat true, definitely true
  • out of the 28 questions, some of the questions relate to one character trait, others relate to another character trait, etc. In total, there are 6 character traits that are assessed
  • after completing the form, she would either like to have the results of the assessment appear on the page and/or she would like to have the assessment emailed to the user
  • she would like the assessment to appear as a radar chart (rather than a calculation of percentages), showing the user which character traits they are stronger in and which ones they need to develop more

Can the solution you described above do all of this in Typeform?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Garth - welcome to the community 

short answer is as follows

• everything except the reporting/email report can be done in Typeform - will explain that part in a second.
    • variables, branching and calculations will give you all the breakdowns she is looking to create
  • you can display the results using the @recall function on a question or an ending page as well as sending an email to the user with the results as a notification from within Typeform
  • if you want to create a custom report using Word-ish or PPT-style templates, you can connect the form to Google Sheets, use Google Doc or Slide template and an add-on call Document Studio to merge the data into the report template, convert it to a pdf and mail it to the user. 
  • The radar chart is a tad difficult to do to get dynamically inserted into a report from a simple Google sheet approach - you need to define the graph and point the data to a range, then each time you run the report you need to use the filter function to select the row of data, update the graph in Sheets and then update the graph in the Doc/Slide.. you can do this better in Google Data Studio (or Report Gorilla, so i have been told but not used) 
    • it can be done .. there are other options that can be explored but i have to keep some of the secret sauce for paying clients lol.. 

hope that helps

des

• if you want to create a custom report using Word-ish or PPT-style templates, you can connect the form to Google Sheets, use Google Doc or Slide template and an add-on call Document Studio to merge the data into the report template, convert it to a pdf and mail it to the user. 

Yes, that definitely helps! Is there any documentation about the above process? This sounds very promising, but I’d need some help getting started integrating Document Studio, Typeform, and Sheets/Docs/Slides :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Garth - that sounds good.. thoughts to get you started while the weekend duties take over for me:

• search this community for “Document Studio” - you will find a number of my posts on the topic on how to do it can be worked.. 
  • check out this link 
  • search for ‘creating subtotals’ in the forum - it will help you with the logic creation to develop the subtotals for each category and how to then use that in the reporting.. 

make that start and get most of the leg work done .. will be around tomorrow night or monday morning eastern .