Answered

Google Spreadsheet Integration Format/Order

• 6 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Good afternoon! 

I have a typeform that collects responses and sends these responses to a Google spreadsheet but the questions/responses are not in the same order as they appear on the typeform.  How do I fix this?

I’ve tried fixing this by moving the columns around but this breaks the mapping of the questions/responses and duplicates them. 

Please let me know! 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 6 October 2021, 22:26

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Dcoll - two suggestion that might help

1. DON”T mess with the first tab. Always create a second tab and set it up so that you pull in the new records from the first tab as they are added. (there are some Google Sheet functions which do this easily for you). you can also edit the column headers on the second sheet to something that is more easily understood by you. 
  2. delete your integration and create it again in a new sheet. publish your form again. If you connect the sheet and make changes to your questions AFTER you connect the sheet ie move questions around, delete questions etc. it will mess with the order in Sheets. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Dcoll Did either of the solutions @john.desborough provided help? :grin:

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have the same issue. The data in my google sheet appears to be in random order. Almost useless. I wonder how anybody can use this mess? I am new to the community. How does this get fixed?

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@guidowalter - part of the issue that many people face is “when to make the connection with google sheets” .. If you create your typeform fully and completely and publish it BEFORE you make the connection to Sheets, the fields should line up with your questions

if you create some questions, make the connection and then go back and add questions and move them around, and then publish the form, you run the risk of ‘seemingly random’ field structure. 

Again, you might find it easier to make a second tab in the sheet, call it whatever you want, and put in short column headers (as opposed the actual text of the question), and then use the arrayformula function to pull the data from the primary tab into this second tab in the field order that makes sense to you

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I couldn’t figure out the “arrayformula” in this case but a simple “=” and cell reference worked. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@guidowalter the = cell will pull the data across but if you want it to pull each time, then figure out the arrayformula() function in Google sheets - you put the formula in the cell in the top data row and each time a new row of data is added to the primary sheet it will pull it across automatically without having to copy the formula down the column all the time. 

the image below shows a screenshot of using the arrayformula to pull in the column of the email addresses in a ‘simple’ pull - you can see it in the formula block

here’s a little more complicated one from the same sheet that grabs the data from another tab based on using a vlookup of the email address in column A. 

just in case that helps understand it a bit better.. 

cheers

des

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks, that helped. Its very simple and effective!