Question

How Typeform classifies devices

• 17 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I have a question about device classification.

In the Results > Insight tab, I can use “device” filter. I would like to understand how Typeform classifies the devices. Is based on the User Agent? Or maybe on the screen resolution? Or what else?

For example, we are distributing 2 different surveys: one for mobile, one for desktop. We set this rule in our tag manager, but I see in the results that, for the mobile survey, some responses are classified as desktop. And, really strange, no response is classified as tablet neither in the desktop survey nor in the mobile one.

Thank you,

Livia

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Livia_D Welcome to the community! Great question. It is determined by the user agent. 

Do you mind sharing more about how you’ve set the rule and where? (Is it Google Tag Manager?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Livia_D! How are you doing today? Were you able to check what my friend Liz has replied above? Don't forget to share more information with us regarding how you've set the rule. Wishing you a great weekend! 😉

Userlevel 1

Hi @Liz and @Gabi Amaral ,
apologize for my late reply but I was oof for a while and I had a lot of pending activities when I came back. :)

The rule was set by my IT colleague in GTM using a script based on user agent too, so I think that it's normal to have some misaligments linked to any little discrepencies in classifying devices.

That said, my point is just that we didn’t already collected any answers on “tablet” (as per your classification) and it’s really strange.

Thanks,
Livia

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Livia_D I hope you had a great time out of office! Nothing like a good break. 

Do you mind sharing either the URL of the form or more about the code? It’s a bit tricky to decipher what might be causing the issue if we don’t have either.