Answered

Some variables have not pulled through.

• 12 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all

We’ve recently put out a questionnaire to customers, and have placed an email variable to be pulled through from our ESP. The majority of them have pulled through into the connected Google Sheet - however a small number of them have come through as blank, and I wanted to ask why this may have occurred - is the only instance where this may have happened if the customer had copied the link and removed the variable and then proceeded to fill out the questionnaire?

I also wanted to ask if there was any way within Type form to possibly fill in the blanks, I see there’s a Token column which may be of some use, but I’m not sure? I have a hunch its not possible but I just thought I’d ask.

Thanks for any help in advance.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 12 April 2021, 14:46

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @atd-emarketing ,

Have you marked the email variable as mandatory? To check, click the email edit icon in the top right corner of the email question screen. There’s an option to toggle ‘Required’ on or off. The default is off but a quick click on the ‘Required’ toggle and it’s on.

Just remember to click ‘Publish’ afterwards or you’ll continue to see blanks (I learned this the hard way lol)

Vicki

Userlevel 1

Hi @atd-emarketing ,

Have you marked the email variable as mandatory? To check, click the email edit icon in the top right corner of the email question screen. There’s an option to toggle ‘Required’ on or off. The default is off but a quick click on the ‘Required’ toggle and it’s on.

Just remember to click ‘Publish’ afterwards or you’ll continue to see blanks (I learned this the hard way lol)

Vicki

Hi vickioneill, thanks for your swift reply, but the email variable wasn’t passed through as a question, rather as a variable within the Typeform URL which we passed through.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@atd-emarketing - just a thought from another user: are all the respondents coming from the email? if, for example, you sent me the proper email link and i took the survey then, while in the typeform itself, i copied the URL for the survey and sent it to @vickioneill in an email, suggesting that it was a really good survey to complete, she would NOT have the email variable, only the URL - this would cause the email variable you are expecting to show up as a blank value. 

just thinking before my third coffee.. 

des

Userlevel 1

@atd-emarketing - just a thought from another user: are all the respondents coming from the email? if, for example, you sent me the proper email link and i took the survey then, while in the typeform itself, i copied the URL for the survey and sent it to @vickioneill in an email, suggesting that it was a really good survey to complete, she would NOT have the email variable, only the URL - this would cause the email variable you are expecting to show up as a blank value. 

des

Hi John.desborough, thanks for your response, I believe this may in fact be the case, and I don’t think there’s any other way this may have occurred, might need to realy specify the customers don’t share links in the future, thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@atd-emarketing - just a thought from another user: are all the respondents coming from the email? if, for example, you sent me the proper email link and i took the survey then, while in the typeform itself, i copied the URL for the survey and sent it to @vickioneill in an email, suggesting that it was a really good survey to complete, she would NOT have the email variable, only the URL - this would cause the email variable you are expecting to show up as a blank value. 

des

Hi John.desborough, thanks for your response, I believe this may in fact be the case, and I don’t think there’s any other way this may have occurred, might need to realy specify the customers don’t share links in the future, thanks! 

@atd-emarketing - what you could possibly do, is have check to see that the email variable is there in the hidden fields that are passed, and if not, take the user to a question that asks for their email address before taking the survey. if present, then skip to the first question. 

just a thought.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for responding and your insights, @john.desborough . Great, creative work around for @atd-emarketing as well.