Answered

Tracking respondents without MailChimp or manually completing hidden fields

• 27 April 2021
  • 4 replies

I would like to create a survey where individual responses are recorded. I can see that this is possible through hidden fields, but it looks like hidden fields need to be manually populated. We will be sending this survey to thousands of people, so manually creating unique URLs is not feasible. Has anyone found a work around for this? We use Campaign Monitor to send the emails, so integrating with MailChimp or HubSpot doesn’t work. Are there are other platforms or integrations that we can use to automatically create unique links, or is there a way to do it within Campaign Monitor directly? 

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 27 April 2021, 21:33

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@MLLegacy - welcome to the community from a fellow user. 

one possible way to assemble the URL and add the hidden fields is to port the email addresses to a Google sheet and using the arrayformula function to concatenate the URL (https://your.typeform.com/to/sjvsXIYH#email=) and the email address field into another column 

You could then either push the concatenated unique url string back into your app and send email including that element OR you could use an addin for Google Sheets like Document Studio to create the customized email and send it out to the users, merging the data elements into the email you designed inside Document Studio

just a couple of thoughts between coffees.. 

des

@john.desborough Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestion! I reached out to Support as well, before posting here, and they replied last night. Apparently you can set up unique URLs through Campaign Monitor the same way that you can with MailChimp. You just need to add the personalization token into the “xxxx”, and then Campaign Monitor will personalize the link for each recipient. I tried it out, and it worked great!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@john.desborough Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestion! I reached out to Support as well, before posting here, and they replied last night. Apparently you can set up unique URLs through Campaign Monitor the same way that you can with MailChimp. You just need to add the personalization token into the “xxxx”, and then Campaign Monitor will personalize the link for each recipient. I tried it out, and it worked great!

@MLLegacy that’s super! I thought there might be a way in the tool to do that and am glad that they had the ‘native’ solution for you from Campaign Monitor. 

des

Hi @MLLegacy what personalization tag did you use in campaignmonitor. [email] seems to just populate the hidden field with “john@domain.com

My current URL is

https://example.typeform.com/to/example#email=[email]