Answered

Why does my ranked choice question have a variable number of responses?

• 18 August 2022
  • 7 replies

I created a Ranking question with 9 options and ten people filled out my survey.  Some of the results in the report display only 5 different votes, while others have the expected 10.  Looking at the results view, it looks like each entry has each option ranked, but the results don’t show the complete data. 

icon

Best answer by Liz 25 August 2022, 16:21

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @RlyRlyBigMan Could you send a screenshot of what you’re referencing in the report? Thanks!

@Liz I should have thought of that before. Above are images of two results and the survey in question. As you can see, the first image has 4  responses and the second had 8, but ten people filled out the survey.

Let me know if you need more data. The exported csv has everyone's rankings but I'm struggling to figure out how to rank the votes using Google sheets

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @RlyRlyBigMan ! Is it possible to skip over this question at all, such as through a logic jump? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @RlyRlyBigMan,

Make sure to let us know if it's possible to skip this question through logic jump. Sometimes, this is why you're getting conflicted numbers in the results. 

Wishing you a great day!

@Gabi Amaral, @Liz 

Thanks for your suggestions.

I’m very new to Typeform, so I’m trying to do the best I can. I specifically joined and paid for a typeform sub so that I can implement ranked choice voting for my league as a fairer way to answer surveys like these.

Given what I understand about them, I don’t think a logic jump works here, for two reasons:

1. I already have my results.   I’ve gotten the ten specific people I needed to fill out my survey, and they’ve all participated and given their input.  Re-doing the survey would require them all to re-vote in a different format.  I should be able to observe the data properly from my report when all of the results have been properly logged and verified in the CSV output.
  2. I don’t think there’s an appropriate way to recreate my survey with logic jumps.   I would either have to force the survey takers to pick Day 1, Day 2, or Day 3 and then select a time option; or I would force them to pick a time slot and then rank the days.   If one user is available any night at 10pm, and another user isn’t available on Monday or Wednesday, I don’t know how I would craft a multi-question survey that would could fairly measure these two schedules against each other.  

I’ve currently worked through my own problem by finessing the csv into a spreadsheet, and hand counting results to come up with our best selection.  Luckily my data isn’t too large and that only took me a little over an hour to accomplish.  I would like to know if there’s any expectation of improving the software to account for this issue. I can give access to my csv data files to any Typeform employee wanting to investigate it. My information isn’t sensitive and doesn’t reveal any personal information that I’m aware of.  

@Liz 

I may have misunderstood your question, I thought you were asking if I could re-format the question to present it a different way.

There are no logic jumps in that survey, and all submissions have a valid ranking in the csv results.   

Sorry for the confusion!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Huh, that is strange then. In that case, it might be best to have our support team look at this directly because they can log into your form to see what’s going on. If you haven’t already, you can contact them here. 😀