[Meaningful Mondays] Bringing Meaningful to life at Typeform

• 1 March 2021
  • 7 replies
[Meaningful Mondays] Bringing Meaningful to life at Typeform
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
  • Director of Brand at Typeform
  • 13 replies

Last week I spoke about how building a meaningful brand is about giving more than what you're getting back. Today I wanted to share how that looks in practical terms for us here at Typeform. 

What are we doing to put the success of you, our community, and the wider community at large at the forefront of what we want to become? And how will this benefit you in terms of our product offering?

Where to find the Meaningful interviews mentioned in the videos:

• Rand Fishkin discusses everything from imposter syndrome, to dropping out of college, and some golden nuggets on SEO success.
  • Adam Lisagar talks about vulnerability, film sets, and the unmatched power of being yourself.

​What do you think about the Meaningful Design framework? How could you deliver a more personal, contextual, beautiful, and relevant experience to your community?

Happy Monday 🙂

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Great video, @paul . I like the 4 squares concept to keep in mind when creating content and representing our brands. I could incorporate more ‘beauty’ into what I do. It’s just me and I don’t have a ‘designer’ eye so my attempts often times don’t come through as beautiful. I’ll eventually hire someone to do this for me :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hey @vickioneill, from our side, we do want to highlight the importance of design, especially for non-designers, so we'll continue to make this a core part of any products we create.

As long as you keep trying to live up to your taste, you should be good. Ira Glass has a better take here:

Also, to see the impact of design on a business (from doubling revenues of the industry average to increasing KPIs across the board, here's some interesting research on the Business Value of Design from McKinsey. Design and UX is unexplored territory for most makers, but could produce out-sized results when it really works well.

Thanks for the comment and keep at it. It took me awhile to hone some of my design sensibilities.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@paul - great framework and totally, seriously, totally applicable to all our businesses. 

Like @vickioneill above, I don’t have the designer eye, but what I love about Typeform today and the framework that you outlined, is that it adheres (according to my interpretation) what I have tried to accomplish - and what i stressed in years past when I had large project development and implementation teams - and what i all a ‘little black dress’ approach: simple yet elegant. (please don’t through any bricks at me for that statement but regardless of who you are, there is something very elegant yet simple about a little black dress).. While there may be a lot of hard work behind the curtain to make the result look that way, this framework does force us to look a the beauty/simplicity of the design and presentation, it does force us to makes sure we are in the context of the user (if i know that they are on my site looking at a Typeform about buying coffee quote thsirts, it would be great to be able to say “hey - did you know that you are currently about 400m away from an awesome coffee shop that has amazing reviews from the locals?” - but making that personal by asking permission for their personal data that we can use to extend their experience. and relevant: come back to buy three times and I will offer you up a monthly tshirt ‘club’ experience at 20% off list every monthly if you sign up for a year… 

i know that sounds a little trite and too micro (both business and approach lol) BUT to me it is like trying to generate/start the chain of a million smiles a day: if you can create the chain of 2 people getting 2 people to smile every 30 minutes from 7am to 5pm - and everyone would commit to do that (random acts of smiling??) - we would hit a million smiles in a day by 1530 and almost 8.4M by 1700/5pm. What an awesome chain of interaction and smiles! How many Typeforms and interactions will it take to get there???!!! I am trying to work on mine.. (and get paid for them too lol… )

cheers and truly this was an awesome intro into how you folks are shifting your think and action vectors.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I agree @vickioneill , for me it really is a magical framework. Coming from the perspective of someone who produces content for Typeform I now try to apply this to everything I plan and create for our users. And that's not only in terms of trying to help the community understand how to mail these 4 areas - but also in the sense of making sure the content itself is beautiful, contextual, relevant and personalized (or at, least, that's the idea!) So big thanks @paul thanks for giving us all this beacon to aim for :pray:

@john.desborough you've got at least one person in your smile chain already today – I'm really digging your philosophy and your take on the framework :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @vickioneill, from our side, we do want to highlight the importance of design, especially for non-designers, so we'll continue to make this a core part of any products we create.

As long as you keep trying to live up to your taste, you should be good. Ira Glass has a better take here:

Also, to see the impact of design on a business (from doubling revenues of the industry average to increasing KPIs across the board, here's some interesting research on the Business Value of Design from McKinsey. Design and UX is unexplored territory for most makers, but could produce out-sized results when it really works well.

Thanks for the comment and keep at it. It took me awhile to hone some of my design sensibilities.

Thanks for the additional resources, @paul . I’ll check these out and will continue to hone my ‘design’ skills 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I agree @vickioneill , for me it really is a magical framework. Coming from the perspective of someone who produces content for Typeform I now try to apply this to everything I plan and create for our users. And that's not only in terms of trying to help the community understand how to mail these 4 areas - but also in the sense of making sure the content itself is beautiful, contextual, relevant and personalized (or at, least, that's the idea!) So big thanks @paul thanks for giving us all this beacon to aim for :pray:

@john.desborough you've got at least one person in your smile chain already today – I'm really digging your philosophy and your take on the framework :smile:

I believe that design impacts acceptability and engagement - and reason I wish I was better at it. lol I’m thankful Typeform provides such an amazing mix of design templates - including simple options so the focus can stay on the quiz/survey and just enough to attract people to it. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

BUT to me it is like trying to generate/start the chain of a million smiles a day: if you can create the chain of 2 people getting 2 people to smile every 30 minutes from 7am to 5pm - and everyone would commit to do that (random acts of smiling??) - we would hit a million smiles in a day by 1530 and almost 8.4M by 1700/5pm. What an awesome chain of interaction and smiles!

des

This is everything.