• 28 June 2021
  • 5 replies
[Meaningful Mondays] Meaningful Episode 1: Rand Fishkin
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
  • Director of Brand at Typeform
  • 13 replies

Hey all,

Last year, we started Meaningful, a web series on what it takes to build a brand that matters. Why meaningful brands? Because meaningful brands outperform the average brands across all key metrics, including profitability.

“Yeah, Paul, we get that, but why is Typeform talking about meaningful brands?”

Well, because when we did some deep research of our most loyal customers, we found that people generally use Typeform and VideoAsk for one of two reasons:

1. People care about looking on-brand. You can customize the look and feel of their typeforms (even down to customizing every single question), and VideoAsk couldn’t be more on-brand as it is because it features you, the face of your respective brand.
  2. People want to deliver the best on-brand experiences. We found that people really love delivering the best possible experience to their audience, even if it is through a utility like forms, surveys, quizzes, and various ways of exchanging information.

Bottom line is brand is more relevant than ever, and that won’t change in a sea of competitors, substitutes, and general noise that bombards the average human every single day. And since people care about their brand so much, we figured, why not help people understand what it takes to really build a brand that matters.

So we created Meaningful to give you some insight on how people are doing it.

And to create a meaningful brand, you have a lot of areas to be great at from:

• meaningful product creation
  • meaningful marketing
  • meaningful business models
  • meaningful leadership
  • meaningful culture
  • meaningful customer relationships
  • (you see we can do this all day)

Our hope is that in every episode, you get ONE takeaway to help you make progress towards becoming a brand that really matters to your market, customers, employees, partners, and of course, your community.

For the next 8 weeks, we’re going to share these interviews with you, our community, first before releasing to the general public, except for today and next week. We started with two episodes last year, and then the pandemic hit. But we’re close to having a full season ready to go, and now’s a good time to kick things off again.

Today, we’re featuring Rand Fishkin. First, here’s why I wanted to talk to Rand:

And here’s the interview:

Enjoy :)

Paul

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@paul - YES!! 

thanks for bringing this series ‘into the light’ and extending it. This interview with Rand was really insightful to watch when it first came out. I think it is really pertinent to watch it again …. and again… and.. well, you get the picture. 

I am grateful that you/Typeform are taking this approach and helping us look deeper into ‘why we are’ and why we do what we do - insightful introspection is something that we need to do more often, periodically, to keep a bearing on where we are going. 

thanks for this!!

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for sharing @paul . I agree with @john.desborough - there’s so much to learn in here. I kept stopping the video every 30 seconds to write stuff down!!

The irony of Rand’s views on the future of content marketing being around episodic content that people get addicted to and end up loving was not lost on me :blush:  I can’t wait for the next instalments to land. The other day I was lucky enough to see some clips of episode 3 that didn’t make it to the final edit and I thought man, if that stuff didn’t get in, we’re in for a real treat...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

SUCH a great interview, @paul ! It’s good to read that you’re reviving this series - the timing when we need to increase the meaning in what we create and share. 

I agree with @john.desborough and @James - SO much to learn and apply. I shared one of Rand’s quotes on FB, tagged Typeform and included the YouTube link. It’s a message that needs to be heard - definitely share-worthy. 

Thank you for asking such thought provoking questions and prompting Rand to share so many insights. Looking forward to more Meaningful Monday interviews!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

SUCH a great interview, @paul ! It’s good to read that you’re reviving this series - the timing when we need to increase the meaning in what we create and share. 

I agree with @john.desborough and @James - SO much to learn and apply. I shared one of Rand’s quotes on FB, tagged Typeform and included the YouTube link. It’s a message that needs to be heard - definitely share-worthy. 

Thank you for asking such thought provoking questions and prompting Rand to share so many insights. Looking forward to more Meaningful Monday interviews!!

I shared it on LinkedIn and Twitter, too lol

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks for sharing @vickioneill … I hope people get something useful from it. And @john.desborough, as you know from our conversation awhile back, I believe the future is meaningful (even though most brands won’t live up to that moniker, and see this as a mere PR exercise).

Btw, you can see the latest Meaningful Brands research here. Definitely worth a read.

Let’s see if we can influence more and more people to move in this direction.

Paul