Answered

ability to exclude certain outcomes based on a question?

• 20 October 2021
  • 11 replies

Badge +1

Hello, I created an outcome type quiz, to determine the “tea type” of customers. I need the ability to block an outcome, like “caffeinated teas” from a person that responds to one of the questions that they never drink caffeine. I don’t see a way to do this. Any ideas how to achieve this?

icon

Best answer by jessko 23 October 2021, 00:43

View original

11 replies

Hello @jessko! Welcome to the community from a fellow user.

In order to achieve the results you are looking for you will need to set some logic jumps. If you are already doing it, could you please post how the logic looks like? Or you could post details, or better yet, a link to your quizz. That will help us to be in a better position to try and help.

In the meantime, this read could help you grasp the basics. Hope it helps!

Badge +1

Hi @Paulo , I appreciate you hopping in here to help. I have not set up any logic jumps in the quiz, because all of the questions are the same for all users. I just want to block certain outcomes based on the answer to the caffeine question. Specifically, if the person says they do not drink any caffeine (question 2, answer C), I have only 2 outcomes (F or G) that I want them to be given. However if the person says they do drink caffeine (question 2, answers A or B), I want them to be blocked from those 2 caffeine-free outcomes (and be given one of the other 5 outcome options A-E). Here is a link to my quiz: 

I will watch the resource you sent now to try to understand how to set up logic jumps for outcomes.

Thank you for your help on this!

Jess

Badge +1

PS. @Paulo That video won’t play beyond 1 min 53 seconds, right when it gets to the spot “so this is where we add logic”… And the written part of the text in that article doesn’t address my outcome requirement from what I can see. Can you elaborate how this can be achieved?

Badge +1

Based on feedback from support from another quiz company called Outgrow, they suggest putting the determining question near the end of the quiz. So I have moved the caffeine question from #2 to the #8 question, right before the email inputs (now questions 9 & 10). Now I have one (caffeinated) flow pathway that I would like to map outcomes A-E, and the other (non-caffeinated) pathway I would like to map outcomes F or G. Does anyone know how to achieve that?

Badge +1

@Gabi Amaral Can you weigh in here? Or anyone else?

@Liz @Gabi Amaral It seems like there’s a problem with the video indeed. Mine stops at 1'57" just like @jessko  mentioned.

@jessko I see you have seven different outcomes (endings). How do you determine which ending (A to G) the respondent will get?

It should look something like this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @jessko and @Paulo

That's a bit weird because I just checked the video and it's working fine to me! Can you check if the video is working on this link on Youtube?

I believe @Paulo is right! Maybe you can change the position of the email address question to the first one and then use Simple Logic > Outcome Quiz, just like Paulo suggested. If you could send a screenshot of your outcome quiz logic, it'd help us to figure this out! Maybe @Liz and @john.desboroughcan have some suggestions as well! :wink:

Badge +1

@Paulo and friends, I wish I could invite you to collaborate. I moved my quiz logic around, and thought I got it, but clearly I didn’t. Here is my currently logic. Question 2 (about caffeine) is the first branch. I then have duplicate questions for 3-8, followed by email input, that jumps to an outcome. 

The outcome maps I created use the 2 lines of questions, where the top line (questions 3-9) are for those who drink caffeine (those who answer A or B to question 2). The bottom line (questions 10-16) are for non-caffeine drinkers (those who answer C to question 2, jump immediately to question 10). 

So I based my “personality” outcomes on the following logic.

For the top pathway (caffeine drinkers) mostly A’s (in questions 3-9) gets you outcome A, mostly B’s (in questions 3-9) gets you outcome B, etc. for outcomes A-E. These outcomes leave answers for questions 10-16 blank.

However, the alternative two NON-caffeine outcomes F&G, are based on only answers to question 2, then jumps to questions 10-16. So outcomes F&G below only include answers to those questions, and leaves answers to questions 3-9 blank. 

I REALLY thought this would work since the outcomes have mutually exclusive answers to the duplicated questions (that are now on completely different tracks). However, I’m somehow able to choose C on question 2 (stating that I don’t drink caffeine) which should put me on the bottom herbal track,  then if I proceed to choose all A’s, I get the CAFFEINATED A outcome “Classic Steeper”, when I SHOULD only get outcome F or G. 

And if I choose A (yes) to the caffeine question, then answer all A’s, I still get the “Classic Steeper” outcome (as expected). 

I clearly do not understand the algorithm that goes into this outcome. What does leaving a question blank do in the Outcome logic?

Thank you to anyone that might have ideas of what I’m doing wrong. Help me…. I’m dying here…. =D

Thank you!!

Badge +1

Just to let everyone know… I finally figured it out.

I believe there is a bug tied to "duplicating" questions using the "duplicate" function. When you duplicate a question, the answers aren't fully divorced from the outcome of the original questions. When I deleted the duplicate questions and created exact replicate questions from scratch, the logic of the outcomes finally worked.

what a journey!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jessko - you hit upon the expected behaviour of ‘duplicating’ the question vs copying the questions (which is not in typeform): when you duplicate a question you capture the same logic (same for a question group) in that if you say that in q2 “… jumpto q5” and duplicate question and move it to, say q15, it will still jumpto q5 UNLESS you change the logic … 

in one of the Help Centre videos i watched over a year ago, they talked about duplicating the question and very briefly (ie in less than 3 seconds) mention updating the logic … but it is something that many of us have come to ‘anticipate’ being in software - like in Excel when you copy a cell with a formula to another cell, it will carry the ‘referential’ logic with it (ie =a2*35  would become b2=35 if copied one cell to the right) unless ‘absolutes’ are used ie $a$2 … 

it’s a learning moment and I am glad it did not cause you too much angst

des

Badge +1

@john.desborough thanks so much for weighing in and for the info.

Oddly, I had changed the logic jumps on all of the duplicate questions. That is why it made no sense to me that answers to the questions on my top line of the flow were selecting outcomes designated only to questions on the bottom line of the flow. That’s why I still think there is a bug tied to the “duplicate” function.

Hope you have a great weekend!