Answered

Adding Subtotals to Create a Total

• 4 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello!

I searched but couldn’t find the exact answer.

1. I want the user to input a @number (how many employees they want protected).
  2. That @number needs to then output 3 different products:
    1. @number  x  @product1 ($1,000 ea.)
    2. @number  x  @product2 ($1,200 ea.)
    3. @number  x  @product3 ($1,500 ea.)
  3. Final screen shows:
    1. To protect @number of employees we recommend:  (1) @product1, (1) @product2, and (4) @product3’s. The total cost will be (add up all subtotals to a total) $x,xxx.

Help?

icon

Best answer by Mariana 4 March 2021, 12:09

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @brucechristy. Welcome to our Community! :hugging:

What a great use case! Let's go thought it step by step:

First, you'll need to create 3 variables for these 3 different products.

Don't forget to also add their value:

Then, you'll add the calculators as I'm sharing below:

Then, you'll use the Recall information feature to display the number of employees selected in the first answer, and the price of each product. :blush:

I hope it's clear, but let us know if there is anything else the community team can do for you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mariana - that is a really concise way to present the details and I have used this for my own forms. 

I have noticed one thing on a couple occasions: that variables that are set to something like 17.50 (ie the cost of a tshirt) will be shown as 17.5 during @ recall display.

is that normal behaviour? given that I may use subtotal instead of price variable for accumulating running total value until presentation as final price, which does show with two decimal places

thoughts??

des

This is EXACTLY what I need to do, but I don’t see the advanced tab in logic, as in the first example.

I ONLY see this:

Without the ability to add variables, I am unable to compute basic math and this show the correct product recommendation.

Any suggestions?

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @john.desborough that's a good point! I've asked the product team and I'll be back to you as soon as I hear from them. :hugging:

Regarding your point, @jkosh, the screenshot you're sharing is from the Classic Builder. Here is the thread about accessing the New Builder. You'll find more information about how you can request it: 

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @john.desborough that's a good point! I've asked the product team and I'll be back to you as soon as I hear from them. :hugging:

Regarding your point, @jkosh, the screenshot you're sharing is from the Classic Builder. Here is the thread about accessing the New Builder. You'll find more information about how you can request it: 

Hope this helps! 

@Mariana 

here’s an example of where i would like to be able to show consistent formatting of the variables:

note the Your Maturity Score under Policies and Capabilities - i would like to have them established to 2 decimal points (maybe Product could look at being able to set the number of decimal points in the variable definition phase?? just a thought) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @john.desborough. =)

The product team shared it's the expected behaviour since the 0 doesn't carry additional information. However, I can see how this impacts your workflow and I made them aware of your feedback. Thanks for sharing this with us! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Mariana - the same thing happens on an order form where you are calculating subtotals and then adding to price variable. price seems to be the only one that automatically carries 2 decimal places.. 

the consistency of presentation of information is important - if not the price variable, something is $17.00 or $17.01, you see different presentation as $17 when you want it to be 17.01

it may be the expected behaviour of how the system does it’s calculation but there should be the option to allow the user to set the number of decimal places. 

also similar to setting up a calculation with a VAT tax that is something like 14.975% - there are some weird things you have to do to be able to get to the third decimal place of accuracy as required. 

just sayin’

des