Badge +1

Asterisks next to questions

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 25 August 2021, 05:13

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi again, @bella.moore ! It looks like your question might not have pasted. Would you mind sharing what you’re looking for help with? :grin:

I guess @bella.moore wanted to know why Typeform automatically adds an asterix next to some questions which cannot be erased?* This is an issue I am finding and would also like help with. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Laura A - the asterisks indicate that it is a required question. While you can’t change that at the moment ie if you toggle the question as required it will show up, you CAN use a statement page early in your typeform to tell people (i do it in the description field of a statement question at the start) that if they see an asterisk, it means the question is required 

des

Can the asterisks be hidden via CSS somehow? For quizzes or other forms where ALL questions are required, the asterisks are unnecessary distraction and noise for the respondents. There should be a way to hide them.

We create several internal forms and need employees to answer to all questions because they are giving us key information to provide services they ask for. We always have some employees asking why there is an asterisk in each question and if there is information missing.

If it is not possible to remove would be great if you could change the symbol and not use an asterisk, as asterisks are normally used as a pointer to an annotation or footnote.

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Asier Welcome to the community! I added your post here where we have the answer. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Can the asterisks be hidden via CSS somehow? For quizzes or other forms where ALL questions are required, the asterisks are unnecessary distraction and noise for the respondents. There should be a way to hide them.

I agree with this, and I know our team would love to have the asterisk removed as well FWIW

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for the feedback, @ActionJackson ! 😁

I understand nothing. Why can’t this feature just be inserted? Not rocket science. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @hj_123 This isn’t something on the roadmap, but if that changes, we’ll post so here. 

Agreed. please make the asterix optional. for a required question there can be a mistake sign or something if needed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Those who use Typeform Business or Enterprise plan should be able to hide the asterisk using the Google Tag Manager integration, with a Custom HTML tag in Google Tag Manager

<style>
span[data-qa="required-asterisk"] {
    display: none !important;
}
</style>

See GTM doc on how to add a Custom HTML tag

https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6107167?hl=en

This seems like a small lift and would go a long way for us!

There should be a way, especially for us paying customers, to disable the asterisk next to required questions. While I know it’s standard on many forms, we have some special cases where this is just not necessary and the asterisk looks weird and is not a helpful indicator.