Answered

Best Practice for Capturing Sequential Inputs Based on Quantity Selection

• 28 September 2023
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello Typeform community,

I'm in the process of designing a booking form and need some assistance with best practices.

Objective:
When someone is booking tickets via the form, they can choose to purchase between 1 to 10 tickets. If they purchase more than one ticket, I would like to capture the full names of all additional ticket holders sequentially. I am aware of using form logic but just checking for a best practice approach.

Requirements:
1. If a user selects to purchase, say, 5 tickets, the form should prompt them for the names of ticket holders 2 through 5 in sequential open-ended questions.
2. Only the full name of the additional ticket holders is needed. No additional details are required.
3. No specific validation is required for these names.

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions on how to best set this up in Typeform. Are there any recommended features or logical jumps that would make this process smooth for the end-user?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best

Ian

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 3 October 2023, 22:34

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @winch Thanks for stopping by! I hope you’re having a great week so far. 

Have you seen the post below? It has a solution similar to the one you’re looking for: 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi Liz

Thanks for following up on my post. I am going to have a crack and the solution posted. First thing is, what is the format that gets you the numbers 1 - 10 lined up like that?

Thanks, Ian

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @winch Ah! That’s our opinion question with the labels turned off. 😀

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@john.desborough @Liz 

I hope you are well.
I have picked up your reply to a question I am trying to solve. Your post linked by @Liz looks like what I am after.  I wonder if there is a way to share the demo template that you set in the link, as I have not used variables or group questions before but I would love to get your solution working for me. Thank you for any consideration to help or step by step visuals (sorry a bit cheeky) I am pretty sure that this would be very useful to others in the community.
Best
Ian

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@winch - I’ll something back to you on this later in the day… tied up in a client meeting for the afternoon.

des

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

that’s really kind thank you….

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi John not sure if I have missed something here? I got a “happy days” alert but do not see anything from you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@winch - sorry.. sometimes work and personal life get in the way of finding time to respond.. intentions and gold paved roads lol… i will get something into here shortly.. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

No thank  you John I just thought I might have missed something I understand and appreciate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

here’s  a few of the details you need to consider: 

Last question in last question group

If you wanted to add price for tickets, you have the value of the count in q1, so you could do something like this which assumes you are using the ‘price’ variable that is one of the defaults available:

-         If q1 greater than 0 then add q1 to price

-         If q1 greater than 0 multiply price by xx (the value of the ticket) which will give you the total price

You could then use the Payment question type to use Stripe integration to take the payment. so instead of having all the 'jump to ending' rules, i would have then jump to statement page that says you have ordered X tickets for a total of @price (the X times the value of each ticket) and then go to the stripe page

hope that helps

des

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi John 

Thank you for the images I am pretty close to getting this sorted. I have copied your screenshots the best I can but seem to just fall down somewhere. 

I have dropped this quick video which I hope might show where I am https://app.screencast.com/srEfCAZcjtfBv

This is the demo form that I have been working on : 

Any pointers to get me finished would be greatly appreciated #leanringlots
Ian​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@winch - you need to replicate the reduction in value of the counter at the end of each participant

note the screen shot below shows the first user (q1=1) and for the second guest, the same logic is repeated … ie after i put in the second user info have i reduced the original counter to 0 - if so, kick out or go to next entry.. 

make sure you have that on each of the ‘b’ questions (last question in your group) so that in each case you are reducing the counter by one and checking if = 0.. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you John
Can you see a mistake from the image / logic set up? Sorry for being a bit thick here, but still something not right I fear…

https://app.screencast.com/m79QSLYWA9z2a

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@john.desborough still hope you might be able to help me finish this one of John if you are able to. It is much appreciated. Best Ian

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@winch - sorry i missed this over the Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada.. 

look at the comparator in 2b vs 3b 

• 2b is correct with greater than 0 
  • 3b says equal to 0 - that will only send you to the next user if there are no more to add .. change it to greater than 0 and check the other questinos

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

thank you @john.desborough let me look to sort 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@john.desborough 💥💥💥sorted thank you so much for helping me thought this one John much appreciated. @Liz big points for John please :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

glad it worked @winch .. pay it forward the next time you are in a coffee shop: buy a coffee for someone you don’t know and who looks like they could use it (teacher, burse, fire/policeman .. some first responder) … 

des