Branch logic with Calendly App Integration

• 18 January 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

I’m working on a workaround needed to resolve issues with the Calendly App integration, and one possibility involves branching to a new question if the user doesn’t select a date/booking in the Calendly App question.

The issue is, how to I set up the logic surrounding an unanswered Calendly question? In the logic dropdown I don’t have ‘is unanswered’. My initial plan was to trial-and-error what’s there until something worked.

In an attempt to ‘set is equal to’ an empty space (in essence, if #10 is left blank with no answer) results in an error message saying it can’t be left blank, and to try flipping the logic to ‘is not equal to’ instead.

Attempting to do that, I’m unable to successfully save the logic. Clicking ‘save’ doesn’t close the box, but when I click ‘cancel’ or the ‘x’ and return to the logic view, the logic seems to have been applied. That is, until I click ‘Publish’ and receive the following error:

Refreshing the page eliminates the apparently saved logic, and I’m back where I started.

I’ve attempted to apply any logical expression to the Calendly question, and this same process repeats. Does the Calendly App integration not work with logic? Or is this just a bug that needs squashing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Liz 2 years ago

Hi @talon256 Thanks for stopping by the community! Since the booking with Calendly is made outside of the form in their product, it isn’t possible to set a logic based on whether or not they have booked an appointment, I’m afraid. Typeform isn’t yet able to obtain that data while the form is being filled out. 

The best suggestion would be to use the workarounds suggested here: 

Hopefully this helps a bit!

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @talon256 Thanks for stopping by the community! Since the booking with Calendly is made outside of the form in their product, it isn’t possible to set a logic based on whether or not they have booked an appointment, I’m afraid. Typeform isn’t yet able to obtain that data while the form is being filled out. 

The best suggestion would be to use the workarounds suggested here: 

Hopefully this helps a bit!

Badge +2

@Liz, thanks for the response. Hopefully the workaround you posted works for others! I’ve been active on that thread as well, unfortunately, the workaround isn’t a perfect fix (see my linked issue in the first line of the original post). I suppose that’s why it’s called a workaround!

I’m intrigued when you say that Typeform isn’t able to obtain Calendly data. It makes sense that Calendly wouldn’t return any of the user input data, but Typeform is already implementing the data needed to make ‘is unanswered’ logic work with the Calendly app.

What I’m referring to is the completion data. It’s that data point that allows the Calendly question to be a required* answer. (A working feature I’m very thankful for!) The same data point that tells the form to error on submission due to the question being left incomplete is the data point that can be used in the logic flow that would resolve my situation here.

If I’m assuming something incorrectly on the back-end function, let me know. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks, @talon256 ! Since the completion of the Calendly event would require that data to be sent back into the Typeform, this isn’t possible at this time. Of course, if there are any updates to the integration, we’ll post them here!

Badge +2

@Liz, can you explain how the ‘required question’ function is working correctly for the Calendly app if the data isn’t available to Typeform?

(I’d quote the response I received from Support when they first said it’s possible (which it is--and working well), but I haven’t been able to track down the email.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @talon256 I’m not sure I understand the question. Could you provide screenshots of what you’re looking to set up?

Badge +2

Thanks for asking, @Liz. Screenshots of the ideal setup are above in the original post. 

To clarify the question about the ‘required question’ function:

You originally said that 

Since the completion of the Calendly event would require that data to be sent back into the Typeform, this isn’t possible at this time.

As I’m re-reading, I wonder if your phrase "completion of the Calendly event” was actually referring to completing the event itself? When I’m referring to completion data, I’m talking about the binary data that Typeform tracks to determine whether each question has been completed or not.

In a private conversation with Typeform support, they explained to me that completion data for the Calendly app is maintained by Typeform (not Calendly). That’s how it’s possible to mark a Calendly app question as ‘required’ so that the form can’t be submitted without actually scheduling a meeting when the option is checked. (see screenshot below)

Since the function of the form as-is (with the ‘Required’ function successfully implementing via the question’s binary completion data), I wanted to delve into why that same binary data couldn’t also be used to provide a ‘is answered’ logic to branch to form, not just throw a ‘complete this question to submit’ error.

My apologies for the confusion. For me it’s more difficult to describe ideas like this via messaging than in conversation. Thanks for your help,

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @talon256 This isn’t a feature of the app yet, as it’s a relatively new app released. Of course, I’m happy to share this feedback, especially about the logic jump portion, to the product team. 

Badge +2

That would be great! From an outside view it seems like all the pieces are there, they just need to be connected. 

Of course, things are always more simple to ask for than it is for the devs to create...go product team! We believe in you!

Thanks, @Liz!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for your encouragement, @talon256! I'm sure our developers will appreciate it! Can't wait to get this up and running so you'll have a flawless integration with Calendly! :heart_eyes: