Answered

Bug on Block References and Calculations

• 14 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

I ran into what appears to be a bug that breaks calculations using questions that have block references attached to them. Is this a known issue?  

To illustrate, I built this very simple two question Tyepform: 

1. What’s your favorite integer?  
    • block reference is ‘favorite_num’
  2. Statement block with the results of subtracting your favorite integer from Typeform’s built-in ‘score’ variable
    • ‘score’ mapped to have a default value of 10
    • Expected result =  value of 10 - your favorite integer

I find that after creating the ‘fav_number” block reference, the calculation subtracting #1 answer from ‘score’ is erased (2nd screenshot) .  

If I re-configure / re-set up the calculation after the block reference erases it, the new calculation seems to work (or at least, that ‘re-do’ approach has worked 9 out of 10 times so I’m tentatively going under the assumption that the 10th time I was operating one espresso short and made a mistake on my end ;) 

Screenshot of logic screen before publishing with block references:

Screenshot of logic screen after creating block reference for this first question: 

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 17 December 2021, 16:37

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jic_luke - can you please show a screen shot of your logic flow map? that will help us troubleshoot this with you..

cheers

des

Badge

Yup. Here’s what everything looks like before and after. 

There’s no noticeable change in the logic flow map that I can see. It’s only the calculation in the rule that is for some reason dropping off.

Badge

@john.desborough   -- what do you think? bug? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jic_luke - all i can see is that your logic in the ‘after’ state has nothing selected.. as you underline.. you need to reset that and save your logic. then publish. at the moment nothing is being subtracted. 

I can’t comment on a bug as i don’t know what keystrokes you did between the two. 

des

Badge

Thanks, Des. Here are the keystrokes in between: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KkwikQbkZE1R_wTBYzmW_qyGc7lL_yVD/view

As for manually fixing the issue with this ‘dummy’ typeform, obviously it is pretty quick and simple to re-add the relative reference to the logic formula. Unfortunately, this same issue occurred with a much larger typeform with much more complex logic rules, which is/was fairly painful to re-add everything.

To the extent that this is a bug / undesirable result, I was hoping that there was a reasonably quick fix that Typeform dev team might be able to put in their backlog so that other Tyepform users down the road didn’t run into the issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@jic_luke - everything that i can find on the block references without doing a more intensive search, goes nowhere near mentioning the fact that the logic rules associated with that question will be ‘updated’. Though given that you are changing an underlying block reference, it almost ‘seems logical’ that there would be ‘change’ in the logic rules. ie if you delete a question in a form that has logic associated to it, it will delete the logic rules associated with that question IF it is mentioned anywhere in the logic. 

Not sure if i would classify that as a bug or as expected, but undocumented??, behaviour. 

maybe @picsoung can help on this one. I would also raise a help ticket at this link to get them looking at it..