Answered

Can the answers to a Multiple choice question determine the rows in a Matrix question?

• 22 February 2021
  • 4 replies

I want to ask a subquestion after the user picks one or more options in a multiple choice question. For each answer i need to gather additional information.

An example of such survey would be to input the items and the amount of a grocery shopping list. Ideally, I would have a two step question:

1. Asking a multiple choice question with all of the items (milk, apples, meat, bread, soap)
  2. Asking a matrix question with amounts as options for each of the items selected in Q1.

Is this possible? how else would you structure such a question?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 1 March 2021, 03:42

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @pau.sabria. Welcome to our Community! 🥳

At the moment, it's not possible to use the options from a Multiple choice question to determine the rows in a Matrix question - but this is an amazing idea!

There is a workaround I can think of: you can ask follow-up questions according to the options selected.

This means that if someone picks Milk, they’ll only see questions relating to that. But also, if they pick Milk and Bread, they’ll see questions relating to both. 

To build this, you can follow the step by step described in this Help Center article (scroll down to see the Multi-branching Logic Jumps)

In this alternative, you wouldn't be using a Matrix question, but any other question type that applies to the use case (i.e. Number question = "How many apples would you like?" whenever someone selects "Apple" from the previous question)

Does it make sense to you? =) 

@pau.sabria 

Great question. I want to be able to do this too. 

@Mariana 

I have been able to use logic like you describe and it works. But now I would like to add a summary to confirm their order of X milk and Y bread. But if they only order milk, it just says ___ bread. How can I fix that? Can I make the default response to bread be zero? I can start a new thread if that would be better. Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@expo  - a user here with a suggestion: you would need to put in a logic jump that would send the user to one of two (or potentially more) “interim questions” - one for If the ‘quantity of milk’ is GT 0 and bread = 0, then go to questionAA (i use yes/no questions to get a confirmation from this display) and the second screen would be  if milk GT 0 and bread GT 0 then go to questionBB (you would like have a milk only quesitonCC as well) 

this can be a convoluted process if you many many items in the list. to have all the calculations BUT i am sure that the folks who really know the APIs (from Typeform) could give a simpler more elegant solution. (I try to do everything as natively as possible with touching the APIs at this point lol)

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for sharing this amazing suggestion, @john.desborough  :clap_tone2: I can't think of a better alternative than this one. Hope more members will be able to try it out!