Answered

Check answers against master dataset

Badge

Hi! I want to create a quiz. This will have a couple of questions and then lead to a video. I wish to match the anwser to one of those questions - “what is your cellphone?”- to a master dataset to ensure only the people that are part of my study are answering the quiz. Therefore, the restriction for the cellphone number question is that this number matches exactly with any number that I have in my previously collected data (that is in xlsx). Is this possible with typeform?

icon

Best answer by Liz 29 October 2021, 00:53

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @isabelavc Happy Little Friday! Welcome to the community. I’m afraid we don’t have a way to check the information your respondent is entering in the form with an existing database. 

You could use logic jumps to check for this, though the downside is that if you have a lot of numbers, it would be a lot of jumps. :\

Badge

Thanks Liz! Indeed, we have over 2000 numbers. Can you think of a way we can restrict the Typeform so that only some people can access it? Can we put a password or something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @isabelavc ah yes, that’s definitely a lot! You could create a password workaround similar to this setup. This setup restricts certain email domains, but you could use the same process for essentially setting a password to your form.

Badge

Great, sounds good thank you! There is no way to do this in a more automatic way, right? For example, uploading an Excel spreadsheet with all accepted passwords. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @isabelavc I’m afraid not. The closest workaround I could think of would be to use our APIs to set the logic jumps, but I think that would be quite a bit of work to do that. If it’s possible to create one password for everyone, that would be the easiest!

Badge

Hi Liz. I am doing the logic approach now. Is there a limit on how many logic conditions I can set? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@isabelavc - i recently did a quiz for a client that had over 4200 logic rules.. hopefully you won’t have that many

Badge

Thanks John. I have 2000, hopefully it will work well. Any tips?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

start with the most restrictive conditions first. 

ie if A and B and C and D must be true to arrive and ending A then it is more restrictive than A or B or C or D …. 

the order will matter.. 

also avoid using ALWAYS in your calculations. any statement containing always  is processed first before any other statements 

final tip: very strong coffee and an excel sheet with all the statements on it that you check off one by one… then re read them all again to make sure.. out loud .. (crazy but i caught one mistake at 3am that way… )

Badge

John, did you also have the problem that Typeform got super slow?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@isabelavc - no, not for that form. there were not a lot of images in the form and it was only about 15 questions pointing to 12 possible endings but also needed to have ability to have tie breaker for top score… at the end of each question the values were added to the appropriate variables so that the all that was left to do prior to the big reveal was to do the comparisons of ‘which one is the highest’ in order to point to the correct ending. by balancing out the logic rules/calculations along the quiz there was no discernable slow down at the end. 

one client did have a form and video heavy typeform with about 10 videos and about 200 images throughout and they had a little slowness vs running a similar form on a dev server in their environment. Keep in mind that there can be network latency that is outside our, and Typeform’s, control

des

Badge

For anyone looking to do this: i used postman and it was the easiest way around!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Oh! That’s interesting. Do you mind sharing your setup, @isabelavc ?