Answered

Create empty variables

• 11 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello!

Im setting up a quiz which the outcome changes based on the answers

To do this, i’ve initialized some variables with empty values, so if the answer to a certain question is “no”, it will be replaced with actual text

On the expected case, runs just fine, however if it isn’t changed, on the final page(one that i call all variables, to make a diagnostic) it shows as “_____”, not blank

Is there a way to make it totally blank?

icon

Best answer by Liz 11 October 2021, 17:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @FredDetofano Happy Monday! Hope you’re having a great week so far. 

There isn’t a way to remove those lines if the data isn’t entered, I’m afraid. One suggestion would be to create multiple variations of the outcome based on whether or not there is variable information. Of course, this would take a bit of setup, but it is a workaround. Would that help at all? :sweat_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @FredDetofano! Were you able to try the workaround suggested by my friend Liz? I hope you were able to solve this issue! :blush:

Just to follow up, I am having this problem as well. In my case, it is not feasible for me to make over 120 different outcomes pages.

However, I believe the solution is to initialize the variables with just a space (i.e. set the starting value to “ “). As of now, this seems to be working in the test environment, and Typeform reads the space as a blank without adding filler space. I’d note this is a pretty straight forward problem for the engineering team to solve, so a tune up would be great. I was pretty frustrated before I found this solution -- hoping it works when deployed live.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Tim M Oh! Well that’s a fancy workaround. Glad to hear you got that working! What’s your use case that the blank spaces work for you? I’d love to know!

Hi @Liz, thanks for responding so quickly. We built a quiz that recommends various products based on the user responses. When you have any number of combinations of more than say 5 products you can see how the possible outcomes add up pretty quickly! The use of variables really facilitates this, so I’m glad it is working for us.

Also, the blank variables filling with a “_____” also affects hidden fields within other Typeforms like asking for a name, so people should just remember to make questions used for hidden fields required.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Definitely sounds like quite the form, @Tim M !! Thanks for sharing! :grinning: Glad to hear the variables are working for you.