Answered

Creating a tie-breaker question based on multiple question results

• 30 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Current Typeform structure (standard build at the moment)

Hello!

I am looking to build logic into my Typeform survey form (for the first time), and I am running into some issues that traditional documentation has not been able to help me solve.

I have a 9 question survey that asks a user to rank their opinion on a given topic on a scale from 1-6.

For the sake of external reporting that we are conducting outside of Typeform, I need to clearly have one winning question and one losing question. Ties in the middle are irrelevant.

For example, if the user selects the value “5” for question 3 and question 5, and there are no “6” scores selected, the user will need to select between only question 3 and question 5 at the end to determine the high score.

Equally, if the user selects the value “2” for question 1 and question 2, and there are no “1” scores selected, the user will need to selected between only question 1 and question 2 at the end to determine the low score.

I’m fairly new to Typeform, so all of the variables and logic design does not make perfect sense to me. However, I am looking to get the answers to a few questions.

1. Is something like this possible within Typeform?
  2. How would I go about accomplishing this logic?
  3. What is the best way for this output to be received, if the logic is able to be completed.

I appreciate anyone and everyone who has taken a second to look at this submission. Please let me know if I can provide any further details.

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 30 June 2023, 18:28

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @seanmiller Happy Friday! Have you seen the post below? It may help you out!

@john.desborough is also a master tie-breaker as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@seanmiller - some of the logic framework that i see is as follows, tho i will start with the possibility of multiple 6 scores .. 

Note that if you have the same high value selected for all questions (ie 9 times) you will have address that

• if q1 = 6 and q1 gt q2 and q1 gt q3 and q1 gt q4…. and q1 gt q9 replace v_high_question with “q1” 
    • v_high_question is a text variable that you create and “q1” is the text string you want to use to identify the highest question 
  • if q1 = 6 and q1 gt q2 and q1 gt q3 and q1 gt q4…. and q1 gt q9 add 6 to v_high_score
    • adding the highest numeric score to a pre-established variable with a default value of 0
  • repeat for all other 8 questions to determine if THAT question is highest at 6
  • if there is no unique 6 score but there is a tie, then you have to route to the tie breaker question appropriate for that combination of possibilities
    • combos where all 9 questions = 6 
    • combos where 8 questions = 6
      • ABCDEFGH, ABCDEFGI, ACDEFGHI, ABDEFGHI, ETC… 
    • combos where 7 questions are 6
    • combos where 6 questions are 6
    • etc
    • combos where two scores are tied at six - AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG, AH, AI, BC, BD, BE, BF, BG, BH, BI, CD, CE CF CG CH CI DE DF DG DH DI EF EG EH EI FG FH FI GH GI HI
      • your logic would have to go through the eval along these lines: 
      • if A=6 AND B= 6 AND A GT C AND A GT D AND A GT E AND A GT F AND A GT G AND A GT H AND A GT I then go to tiebreaker question for A and B
      • do the same for A=6 and C= 6 and A GT B and …..
    • if none of the scores are 6 then you do the same eval for 5… 

as you can see there are lots of possible combinations/tie breaker question where you might have route your user in order to break a tie if there is a high score. And you would have to repeat this for low score as well. 

in short.. it is possible to do this in Typeform - i’ve done it for clients and there are some posts here in the Community where i have provided links to a sample form.. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @seanmiller Happy fri-yay! Were you able to implement the tie-breaking solution above?