Answered

Data validation for text question

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have a question which asks the user to put in their userid for our organisation. This userid is in the form of an alphnumeric code of a specific length. As some users have not been entering it correctly, I’d like to add validation to the Typeform text box to specify that the code has to be a certain length. Is this possible, and if so, please could you let me know how I might go about specifying this?

Many thanks

Jamie

icon

Best answer by Liz 12 March 2021, 23:04

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jamie - that’s a great question! I believe editing the max characters in a short text field should work. I created a gif below to show you how to set this up. Would that work for you? :grinning:

Userlevel 1

Hi @Liz 

Thanks so much for your response. 

I looked at the max characters function but I think that what I’m after would be the same thing but for a minimum number of characters. Our code is like this ST1-XXXXXX. The user put in ST1- and I want to stop them being able to only put in a shorter version / or incorrectly formatted version of the id.

Thanks again for supporting me with this, any further insights from you or the rest of the community much appreciated

Jamie

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jamie Ah, shoot! We only have a maximum character option right now, but a minimum character is a great idea!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Liz - thanks for answering. Good to know I’m not missing anything. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @Jamie - i think the ability to apply a ‘data mask’ to the input fields would be a great idea but, in my head, that goes onto the ‘new features’ ask-for list lol

Not sure if there is something that can be done with API’s ( @picsoung ) that might be able to potentially resolve that overall issue or this particular usecase. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah, I agree @john.desborough ! A feature request for now, but I’ve shared the feedback!

how can we get notified as soon as the “minimum character” option is available? We would love to have it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @omi if this is a feature we add, I can certainly let you know in the thread here. :grinning:

well? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @APR We don’t have this feature available, but if you have another question you’re looking for help with, we’re happy to help answer. 

Hello guys, is there any update on this thread? I’ve tried to collect an ID number from my users but I would like to validate if it match with an external database, is it possible to integrate through an API or webhook to it? Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @andro.vlahovic thanks for stopping by! I’m afraid we don’t have any plans for a feature like this in the near future, but if that changes, we’ll update this post.