Answered

Detecting fake contact details in typeforms

• 31 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi there - we are using typeform for people to go through multiple choice questions as part of a sales process on our website. 

We ask for their phone number and email during this process - from time to time, people put in emails and phone numbers that are fake. I’ve been on websites before where it knows if an email or number is real and only lets you proceed if it is happy you have done this. 

Is there a way we can bring this into what we are doing here? 

Thank you :)

icon

Best answer by Liz 31 May 2023, 18:48

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Stoney Thanks for stopping by the community! If you aren’t already, I would suggest using the phone and email questions to ensure they are entering a phone and email in the correct format. 

As for verifying if these are real phone numbers or email addresses, I’m afraid we don’t have this feature, but I can share the feedback with the product team. 😀

Hi @Stoney Thanks for stopping by the community! If you aren’t already, I would suggest using the phone and email questions to ensure they are entering a phone and email in the correct format. 

As for verifying if these are real phone numbers or email addresses, I’m afraid we don’t have this feature, but I can share the feedback with the product team. 😀

Not even an idea about how I can prevent g@gmail.com being an acceptable email? :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@woken - may not be the best place in the process to do the validation, as there is no native Typeform way to do so - BUT you can use Zapier and integrate with one of the many email verification tools they connect with to do the validation of the email before you accept it downstream from typeform. 

i get about 20-25 dummy emails put into my example typeforms accessible here in various posts, where people put in dummy emails. I don’t filter those out cuz it’s just a sample process.. however, in live production  typeforms, that are connected to CRM/ESP solutions, I always use a zap to check the emails for validity before they are passed to the backend. 

just a thought

des

Thank you Des, I might have to do that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you Des, I might have to do that. 

@woken - it might chew up the typeform submission count BUT by using the checkers, it saves me a bunch of headaches downstream in business processes if they don’t make it into the esp/crm workflows… 

des