Answered

Display questions based on hidden fields

• 17 February 2021
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1

My team has a survey that is used as a pre-course survey. 

We are integrating with a 3rd party company (Report Gorilla) for reporting. 

We’d like to use the same survey for the pre and the post survey for simpler reporting (we are connecting scores from the pre-course survey to the post-course survey. 

I need some way of: 

1. Displaying a subset of questions the first time the survey is deployed (e.g. identifiers, demographic questions, assessment questions)
  2. Displaying a subset of questions the 2nd time the survey is deployed (e.g. identifiers, assessment, but no demographic questions)

Can this be done within one survey? If so, how would one recommend going about this? Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Liz 17 February 2021, 19:44

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Monica Rysavy ! thanks for stopping by! On the second-time-around survey, you could hide the questions using logic jumps and hidden fields. For example, if you are able to pass data through a hidden field that marks the respondent as having already completed the survey before, you could then setup hidden fields that would hide the question group according to the matching data in the hidden fields. 

For the post-course survey, are you embedding the form somewhere that could pass this data? Or if you don’t mind sharing a bit about how the respondent will access the form a second time, that’ll help me figure this out for you!

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much for your help!

The second time around, the plan was to have a standard link to share with the students over email and to post within our course forum (so not a unique link per student). However, it is possible to do a mailer with one link per student, just more complicated from a management side of things. 

Is this possible to do with a non-unique link?

Follow-up question: Are there any concerns if the second subset of questions changes before the initial deployment?

For example, if the first set of questions is set, and we deploy today, and later there are question changes to the second subset - whether by adding more questions, removing questions or by changing answer choices in the second set - will this impact the overall results?

We’ve also had one more change to the flow, so our final survey process map so to speak that we are trying to do in one survey is as follows: 

Pre-Course Survey:

Identifier Questions → Demographic Questions → Open-ended/MC Questions → Assessment Questions

Post-Course Survey

Identifier Questions → Open-ended/MC Questions (different set than before) → Assessment Questions

Thanks again! :-) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Monica Rysavy 

You don’t necessarily need to have a unique link per student, but you can pass the data in through hidden fields, especially if you have merge tags (or something similar) in the platform. We have a handy walkthrough here as an example! 

Once a form has started collecting responses, making any changes to the form can cause issues. You can learn a bit more about this here, but I think it might be better to create two separate forms in this case to be on the safe side, especially if you want to edit one form but not the other. 

It’s also good to note that if the respondent submits a form more than once, each response will show as a separate response - it won’t update an original response. 

Hopefully this helps a bit! Let me know if you think of anything else. :grinning:

I’m trying to prepopulate hidden fields into questions into a survey

Seems like you’ve completely removed this from the new builder

(we have the professional version)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@SimonatVivian - from a user here.. 

the hidden fields are still in the builder but in a different place, in the new builder. see below for where hidden fields are and how to find the redirect on completion to pass them ..

and  you can use @recall to show the hidden fields.

hope this helps

des

This looks like it passes the values after completion.

I want to capture hidden values in the URL when they land on the survey, and for those value to Prepopulate the survey questions and answers

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This looks like it passes the values after completion.

I want to capture hidden values in the URL when they land on the survey, and for those value to Prepopulate the survey questions and answers

you will have to prepopulate the URL calling the typeform with the hidden fields, in the same structure as if you were passing them out of the form:

https://yourformname.typeform.com/to/sjvsXIYH#email=xxxxx&otherfieldname=xxxx

from whatever method you are using to have them access the typeform

and then when  you present the form to the user where you want to prepopulate, you need to use the recall function by typing @hiddenfieldnameyouassigned for example

des

It does not let me edit the answer field. (only within the question).

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@SimonatVivian - here is a short demo link of how i have done this in terms of passing information between two typeforms - this may work for you in terms of what you are trying to achieve.. 

ok, thank you. Yes i can see you using the variables in the question, but it looks like it’s not possible to repopulate the answer

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@SimonatVivian - unless the good folk from Typeform can actually point to a way to do so, that is the best we can do at this point.. i haven’t seen anything that would allow that to happen. 

des