Answered

Exclude questions based on yes/no answer but allow follow-up

Looking to create a survey with three phases of questions: 

Phase 1: General

Phase 2: Related to Product A

Phase 3: Related to Product B

I need to be able to exclude, as needed, questions in Phase 2 and/or Phase 3 based on yes/no questions in Phase 1 (i.e. 1. Do you have Product A? y/n; 2. Do you have Product B? y/n).

As I see the logic jumps right now, if I need to exclude Phase 2 based on the Product A question, I cannot then ask the following question regarding Product B. The only rule I can establish would be that if Product A question is “no,” jump to questions after the related content. But there is no option to also tell the rule to also move on to the next question.

I guess it’s sort a weird parallel thing that might not be able to function?

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 3 May 2024, 22:27

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @olsoneric Have you tried setting up the logic jumps like this

I thought about that, but the issue is that there are entire chunks of questions (like 18 questions, some with their own logic in responses) that have to be excluded off the no option of a yes/no and then picked back up in the next section. Then the very next question does the same thing for a different part of the survey (the honest answer is that it should be two different surveys, but that didn’t fly with the person making the request...😀)

For now, I’m just creating a duplicate path of questions and running them off the answer (the mapping tool helps a ton with this visualization!😀)

In essence, I’d want it to branch at a particular question based on the response 15 questions back. So I think that building a parallel path is the cleanest (easiest?) way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hm, @john.desborough might have some suggestions for you, but I think you’ll still need to set up the relevant logic jumps above. I could be wrong! Des is crafty with the jumps ha. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@olsoneric - i know this sounds a little silly, but have you drawn out the logic map on a napkin or a tool like Miro? just so that you know the flow you want to implement, complete with the decision criteria? 

the reason i’m asking is this: if you don’t have that type of reference model it’s tough to figure out the logic rules. 

it seems like what you are trying to do is this: 

• at the end of Phase 1, your last question needs to have the logic located ‘in it’ - i’ll use a simple two question phase 1
    • if q1 is Y (Prod A) go to  q3 (Phase 2 (Prod A) first question)
    • if q2 is Y (Prod B) go to q6 (Pahse 3 (Prod B) first question)
    • if q1 is N AND q2 is N then go to ending/another page

that will set up where they go first 

let’s assume now that we are at the last question of Phase 2 (Prod A) and that is q5 in my example

• the logic on q5 would be: 
    • if q2 = Y (Prod B) go to q6 
    • if q2 = N then go to ending/another page

where you send someone from q5 is dependent on the answer to q2

Think of a health questionnaire that is based on M/F gender-related questions (yes, a binary choice for this example)

• you would have a series of questions for each gender, say 10 each, but regardless you want to send them to Ending A if male and ending B if female
  • your logic would be based on q1 choice - M/F
    • if q1=M go to q2
    • if q1=F go to q12
    • on q11 (if M chosen and 10 questions after the initial choice on q1) 
      • if q1=M then go to ending A
    • on q21 (F chose in q1)
      • if q1=F go to ending B

may not be exactly what you had in mind but it’s one way

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @olsoneric I hope you’re doing well! Were you able to try the suggestions above? 🤔

Thanks, I ended up making two parallel paths within the survey. The issue really was more that the questions should not have been included in one survey (they should have been two, but department wanted it all in one).,

I had drawn it out (back of napkin style, we’re too cheap for Miro) and had considered that option originally. I’m not sure the related question option in Typeform would allow a set of 10 or so questions and then loop back to the next question. Maybe it can? But it just seemed easier to create a duplicate path.

The issue with suggestions above is that it was not binary. There were three options. The survey where Q1 and Q2 were both Y or N and showed or excluded related sets of question, BUT ALSO options for if there Q1 and 2 had different answers. The logic issue is that it would have had to remember the answer to Q1 as well as Q2. So it was just easier to create parallel question sets.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@olsoneric HAHAHAH I love that you used the back of a napkin. That’s one way to be scrappy!

Glad to hear that worked for you! If you do think of any other logic questions, let us know. 😀