Answered

Exclusive answer on a multiselect question

Is it possible to create an “exclusive” answer on a multi select question? Simple example .. “Which of these brands have you hear of?” Answers (multiple selection possible)

Daz

Omo

Lux

Tide

None of these/Don’t Know

It makes sense for folks to tick Daz, Omo, Lux, Tide in any combination, but if they select “None of these/Don’t Know” then none of the others should be selected.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 7 May 2021, 15:32

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @digitalcatapult ,

From a fellow community member - it seems like a logic jump would work in this instance. If ‘none of these/don’t know’ is selected then the user participant would be referred to another question or end the survey. 

Have you tried that and it work for what you want to accomplish?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@digitalcatapult - in addition to the suggestion by @vickioneill , what i have done in the past is to use the logic branching to evaluate the scenario as follows:

• if None of the above is selected as an answer AND Answer A or None AND Answer B etc
    • then jump to a statement page that says ‘ you have selected None AND at least one other choice - this is not valid. please go back to the question and make your selection again.”
    • then jump back to the question to make the appropriate selection

not a perfect work around but will guide the user a little to the correct spot.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@digitalcatapult - in addition to the suggestion by @vickioneill , what i have done in the past is to use the logic branching to evaluate the scenario as follows:

• if None of the above is selected as an answer AND Answer A or None AND Answer B etc
    • then jump to a statement page that says ‘ you have selected None AND at least one other choice - this is not valid. please go back to the question and make your selection again.”
    • then jump back to the question to make the appropriate selection

not a perfect work around but will guide the user a little to the correct spot.. 

That’s an even BETTER logic jump, des. Nice add 💪

my question allow user choose one or mulitple answers, or exclusive “none”. my conditional logic is if none is selected AND “ answer A or B or C or D or E is selected”, it will show statement page to remind user delete “none” option. After user delete “none”, the logic still applies if user selects mulitple answers (A and B). How can we allow user select “multiple answer”? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@john.desborough you don’t happen to have an example of the logic @PXX427 is looking for by chance? 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Liz @PXX427 here is a short sample of the logic in play

the logic map looks like this: 

when i implement this type of “if you chose an option AND None” scenario i have found that using the logic rules of:

• if None and a or b or c or d then jumpto a point 

doesn’t always seem to work smoothly not sure why this doesn’t work well but i tend to do a series of logic statements for each AND option 

so that would be for the None and 1 of the options. i repeat this for all choices (yeah it’s extra rules but it seems to work better)

I also direct the user to a Yes/No page instead of a statement page - that way if the user does want to complete it they choose yes to go back and no kicks them out in this case. 

just my approach

des

Userlevel 1

It is crazy that we have to do all of this logic for a simple function like an exclusive answer on a multiple-choice question. Qualtrics has a button for each answer choice that says “Make this answer exclusive”. Check the box and move on. This is a good opportunity for Typeform to add a time-saving feature for its users. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@augie - how have you implemented this in Typeform? have you used any other type of workaround?? 

des

Userlevel 1

@augie - how have you implemented this in Typeform? have you used any other type of workaround?? 

des

I am new to Typeform but familiar with other survey tools where this is a built-in feature. I’m finding it frustrating to have to customize the logic for a bunch of questions that should be very straightforward. it’s adding many hours of work (and re-work) for my team. I think the suggestions here are probably among the best available options given the lack of functionality. 

Just chipping in here - as a new user to TypeForm and finding so much I like about it, this is one area that I am finding frustrating - as Augie says, other platforms (in my case QuestionPro) just have this feature as a checkbox - no need to spend a long time setting up mindbending logic. How do we get this on the product roadmap asap?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Helen Flow I’ll pass your feedback along to our product team. 😀 Though, we can’t guarantee if this will be added to the roadmap, as that depends on what they’re currently building and demand for other features.