Question

File upload not required

I have the file upload question throughout a survey, but the upload is not a requirement (have un-ticked it). There doesn’t seem to be a Continue button at the bottom of the upload box, it seems to be waiting for a file to be uploaded. Has anyone had this issue?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @MegB. Welcome to the Typeform Community =)

In fact, there is no button when using the File Upload question. However, if the respondent hits "Enter" or select to go down using the navigation arrows, they'll be able to skip the question. You can also add this tip in the description of the question if you like. Do you believe this would make it easier for the respondents? 

I fall into this today, this is very counter-intuitive… The users keep asking why there’s no way to skip the file upload, some of them upload some unrelated file just to pass that “optional” step. Is that difficult to add an option to show a “Continue” or “Skip” button below?

This remembers me about the user friendly function of “just press shift + intro” to do a line break, and we keep receiving huge paragraphs because regular non “tech” users doesn’t understand what shift means and I doubt if they know how to press two keys at the same time. Yeah, real people are like this, but we want to talk to real people with Typeform, no? Why not just show a regular textarea like control and ask for them to use shift + intro to accept that step? 99% of them will use the mouse anyway so it’s not a problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Uni welcome to the community and thanks for sharing some additional feedback here 😊

You are right, I’m sure it can be confusing for some people that aren’t so familiar with technology. We’ll pass this onto our product team for consideration and keep you posted here with any updates.