Answered

Help needed: how to close a registration form after a certain amount of signups

• 9 April 2022
  • 8 replies

Hello,

I run a nonprofit organization that teaches kids how to code. I am attempting to create a registration system for both volunteers and students. 

Here is how we hope it to work: 

We are going to send an email to our volunteers containing sign up links for a class in a certain place at a certain time. We only need 4 volunteers per class so we would want to close the registration after 4. How can I close a registration form after so many responses?

After we have our volunteers we are going to post our registration links on our website and send it out to parents using email. We can only have 12 students in a class so we would want to close the registration after that many sign ups. If a class is full we would want to reroute the parents to sign up for our waitlist. How do I do this?

TLDR: After a certain amount of people sign up using my Typeform, how do I stop further sign ups and reroute them to a waitlist signup.

icon

Best answer by picsoung 14 April 2022, 21:05

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @KiddoByteBen Happy Monday! That’s so cool that you teach kids how to code! It must be rewarding. 😀

This article here can walk you through how to close the form once it reaches a certain number of responses. 

Thank you @Liz, that video was incredibly informative. But, I still need some help.

I do not want to create an individual Typeform for every class I host. Is there a way I can close a pathway if it has received a certain amount of registrations. 

For example, 

I have a singular typeform called registration. When a user opens it they are asked what location they will take the class. Then it asks them what date and time they will take the class. If the date and time they chose already has 12 sign ups it will inform them the class is full or even better not appear to be clicked on. Is this possible?   

Also, at the end when the form closes due to having a certain amount of registrations. Can your Custom Closed message contain a clickable link?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @KiddoByteBen1 It isn’t possible to remove options or show certain options as ‘not available’ if they’ve reached a certain response amount. 

Though, I can suggest using our Calendly integration, which can provide a workaround for this!

As for the custom message, it isn’t possible to add a hyperlink, but I can share this suggestion with our product team. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @KiddoByteBen1 
I am curious, are you using any other tool in your stack like Airtable, Integromat (Make) or Zapier?

Depending on your answer, there might be a solution, it might involve some custom workflows to make it happen.

But you basically would need to maintain an “inventory” outside of Typeform, and for every new submission the workflow could update the inventory.
Once a class has reached it max, the workflow will update the form, It could either remove the option, or mark it as “FULL” and return an error if the user selects it.

Happy to walk you through the implementation if you are willing to explore this :)

Yes @picsoung, can you please walk me through how to do this and can you also give me an estimate on the total cost of creating this system, currently I am on the basic plan and do not have the other services you mentioned.   

Userlevel 1

Hi @KiddoByteBen Happy Monday! That’s so cool that you teach kids how to code! It must be rewarding. 😀

This article here can walk you through how to close the form once it reaches a certain number of responses. 

Hi @Liz There is very little information here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@toptanmoda - what sort of information are you seeking. There are abilities within the platform, depending on the level of plan that you have, that allow you to close a form. 

unfortunately, the scenario that is being described in the original post, is not something that ‘native typeform’ has the ability to do - unless, as @picsoung said, you create an inventory outside the platform and use some form of API call to determine what the current inventory of seats would be and then pass that back into the form. 

des

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes @picsoung, can you please walk me through how to do this and can you also give me an estimate on the total cost of creating this system, currently I am on the basic plan and do not have the other services you mentioned.   

Let’s explore this and see if I can describe all the different steps conceptually, and then you decide how this could be implemented 😉

This is based on the idea that you maintain the state of inventory somewhere outside of typeform, like a google spreadsheet, Airtable, or your own database…

Inventory looks like:

class name available
intro to Python 15
intro to HTML 2

Your form contain questions about student information like name, email, … and then a multiple choice question containing all the classes available.

Once the form is submitted it has to do two things.

Step 1

Update inventory, and take one spot out.

Step 2
Find which classes still have availability, update the multiple choice question in the form with the classes with availability.

Does this make sense?

To update the content of a form you would rely on the Update form endpoint
To trigger this flow you would use the Webhook

You can code the whole thing or use nocode/workflow solutions like Zapier/Integromat.

Hope it makes sense