Answered

How do I add free text to a yes no question?

• 5 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi guys 

I want to add a free text option to my yes/no answers - is this possible?? 

Example question: 

Do you think that companies with a strong ESG value proposition would be better placed to withstand market risks and capitalise on opportunities?

YES/NO with Free Text Option 

icon

Best answer by DavidD 5 January 2022, 14:44

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@101WinCollins the “Yes/No” question type does not support free text, i.e. adding an “Other” option.

Instead change your “Yes/No” question to a “Multiple choice” question type, then you can manually type “Yes” and “No” as options and toggle the “Other” option too on the right side.

I hope this helps and I understood your question correctly.

Yes/No questions don’t support free text
But Multiple Choice questions do

@DavidD Thanks David! Star!

Although, you can’t change the label on ‘Other’ to say ‘please add any comments’ right? What I am trying to do is give respondents an opportunity to provide more inisght into why they answered the question in a certain way 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@101WinCollins actually you can do this.

On the Typeform builder:

• Click the cog in the top-right corner
  • Click “Messages”
  • Change the label for “Other” answer option to what you want

Perhaps another way of doing this would be to use the Multiple Choice question type to say:

• Yes
  • No
  • Give a different answer

And then you set up a logic branch so that, if a user clicks “Give a different answer”, they jump to a special question which is either a “Short Text” or “Long Text”, with the question “What are you thoughts about companies with a strong ESG value proposition?”

Just an idea! Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That's a great suggestion, @DavidD! Thanks for contributing! 

@101WinCollins Another option of what you can do on this situation is adding the Yes/No question and then you add another question after this one asking why they have answered Yes or No. I'd suggest the long text one, so people could give more insights! Then you can say "Why have you chosen YES/NO?"or something like that! Take a look at this video to have an idea! I hope it helps! :wink: