How does a screen reader interpret this question layout

• 25 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
  • Explorer
  • 10 replies

Hi Community,

How does a screen reader interpret a scale question and what does it read out exactly? Example below.

Also, is there a way for me to test this for myself?

Thanks!

Andy

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ATS Yes, you can test this yourself! Which device are you viewing the form on? 

If you’ve got a mac, this article here can walk you through how to enable their accessibility settings. This is just a personal opinion/experience, but it really helped me to spend a few days using only accessibility features on my device to understand the perspective of someone using it full-time and how to enable those features to test websites/forms/etc etc. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @Liz , I’m on Windows - maybe I’ll try Narrator to see what happens. Other suggestions welcome though!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@ATS Let me know how it goes with Narrator! Another colleague, @chriscooning , shared that they’ve tried with this plugin, if that helps. It’s not the best experience, but it at least gives you a chance to test it out. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Liz @chriscooning Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Welcome!! @jvh might also have some suggestions for you, too!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hey @ATS 

Your best bet is indeed to test using Microsoft Narrator. On MacOS VoiceOver, the scale question is read out as a radio button group.

Hope that helps

Joyce

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks everyone - I’ll report back once I have tried Narrator out.

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know how it goes, @ATS !