Answered

How to identify participants

• 30 November 2023
  • 10 replies

I want to create a survey study where participants sign up and take part in a weekly survey over a 2 month period with different prompt questions each week. In week 1 participants will complete a suite of demographic questions and then each week get a different prompt. I need each weekly response to be recorded to their profile, so that I can anaylse each weekly response based on demographic profiles. Is there a way to do this in typeform? For example, can you ask participants to enter a unique identifier (like an email address) at the beginning of the survey, and then use that identifier to link responses to their profiles, and can they be denied access if the email address is not recognized?

Thank you for your help!

icon

Best answer by john.desborough 30 November 2023, 19:22

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey @susie_bennett welcome to the community! 😊

This sounds interesting. I think you would need to export your results to something like Google Sheets to compare and analyse over the weeks, I’m not sure you would be able to do what you want to do within Typeform itself (although maybe @john.desborough can correct me there!)

I think deny access to unknown emails could be tricky, maybe @picsoung has seen something like this created in the past and could help here? 🙏

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Grace @susie_bennett  - if you have the users come back and take the same quiz multiple times, if your data is in Google Sheets, you can filter and analyze based on the email address (unique identifier) in the speadsheet

if you are sending the users the reminder email to complete the form, from your crm or other type solution, you can add the email of the user AND an access code as url parameters that are mapped to hidden fields in the typeform

use the access code in a logic rule so that if someone comes to the form without or with an incorrect access code then it would turn them away. 

if you have a finite set of users, you could do the same with a logic rule to check the email string 

• if v_email is X or v_email is y or…… etc then go to the first question otherwise send them packing. 

just my thoughts

des

@Grace Thank you so much for getting back to me. I really appreciate it.

Exporting the analysis to do outside of Typeform would be no problem, but I would need a URN mechanism to be able to identify each week’s responses to the original participant, and was thinking their email might be a good way, but people might forget which email they used for the first survey and provide a different one on a future survey round, and I would lose their demographic information.

It is quite a complex project, as I also want to run the survey in various languages. I have never used Typeform before and am putting together costs for a research funding proposal, and am trying to work out if I can do my study through Typeform, or need to pay for a bespoke website to be built. It would be really helpful to have a call with someone to talk it through. Do you happen to know if there are freelance Typeform developers and if so where is a good place to find them?

Thank you again for all your help!

Thank you @john.desborough ! I think I was responding to Grace as your reply was coming through. This is very helpful, thank you. I am a researcher and have no technical skills in this area, but from what I understand you are saying, it would be possible to use the email as a URN mechanism, so that I would be able to match each weeks response back to the original demographic detail? Would you anticipate any risks with this approach or do you think for someone with the rights skills it is pretty straight forward to implement? 

Thank you for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@susie_bennett - i have a set of clients with a typeform that every ‘project team’ has to update monthly - i use this method to get the data into a google sheet that they can then filter on a particular project and see all the data rows for that project. allowing them to look a the data table and visually inspect. 

There are macros and graphs that are associated with the data selected, for example, number of defects/bugs per month that are available in the google sheet. (think 400 projects for one client and tracking all of that info) .. 

how many users will you have in the study??

Thank you @john.desborough - it’s hard to estimate the number of users. I have recruited for a one-off survey before that got 3k respondents. This will be a multi-language survey and more spend for recruitment so it could be over 5k. It will be a survey looking at men’s mental health - specifically male suicide - so each week there will be a set of questions looking at a different aspect of suicide risk/recovery. In the first survey I want to capture all the demographic detail for each participant, and then they will go into an automated mailchimp/typeform journey with a weekly survey looking at a specific issue. At the end of the survey I want to be able to analyse the data for each participant from each survey round, so I need to be able to link each survey round back to the participant. Does that make sense and do you think this will be possible through typeform functionality?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@susie_bennett - it’s doable in Typeform without question.. though your analysis and correlation of response data over time should be done in Google Sheets or other analytics tools over top of Sheets 

des

Thank you @john.desborough for being so generous with your responses - that is very reassuring and helpful. Thank you :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is awesome @john.desborough thank you for sharing all this, and @susie_bennett do let us know how you get on if you decide to run the research through Typeform, we would love to hear about it 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thank you @john.desborough for being so generous with your responses - that is very reassuring and helpful. Thank you :)

You’re very welcome @susie_bennett .. good luck with the development.. 

des